One of Obama’s staunchest senate allies has hammered the president’s proposed budget cuts to counterterrorism programs.
New York Sen. Charles Schumer is asking President Obama to rethink the $300 million in cuts to the Urban Area Security Initiative included in the 2017 budget released by the White House last week, the Associated Press reported.
“These proposed cuts are ill-advised and ill-timed and they must be reversed. End of story,” he told the AP. “In light of recent attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, and the vow by our extremist enemies to launch more attacks on our shores, it makes no sense to propose cuts to vital terror-prevention programs like UASI.”
Schumer said the funds are necessary in areas like New York City that remain top terror targets.
“New York City remains terror target number one and the NYPD relies on these programs to keep us safe,” the senator said.
In a statement, the White House said the new budget provides “robust funding” to continue “combating terrorism.”
“In addition, the budget provides $100 million for a new Regional Preparedness Grants Competition and $39M for grants to help States prepare for and respond to complex coordinated terrorist attacks, both of which offer New York City additional opportunities to secure funding for counterterrorism efforts,” it said.
Latest posts by Carmine Sabia (see all)
- ‘You’re a liar and a fraud!’ Rep Schiff feels scorching backlash over outrageous Obama-era claim - March 24, 2017
- If Calif. Dem’s reason for voting ‘no’ on Gorsuch doesn’t prove America needs ‘swamp draining’ nothing will - March 24, 2017
- Crazed Dem shrieks wild accusations at GOP on House floor — and wants you to believe she’s the sane one - March 24, 2017