Lewandowski dishes on Trump’s coming ‘interactive’ social media platform, says it’s all but certain

CHECK OUT BizPacReview on Parler!

Former Trump 2016 campaign manager Corey Lewandowski claimed Saturday on Newsmax that the social media platform former President Donald Trump has been developing should be up and running by about mid-summer.

“This is going to be launched in the next three to four months. It’s going to be an interactive communication tool whereby the president will be able to post things to it, and people will be able to repost and communicate directly with him,” he said.

It’s not clear whether people will also be able to repost one another’s content. What’s certain, according to Lewandowski, is that the platform will be cancel culture free.

“What we’ve seen with big tech and the cancel culture is that if you don’t agree with their philosophy, they’re going to cancel you. We’re going to have a platform with the president’s message of ‘America First.’ It’s going to be put out to everybody, and there will be an opportunity for other people to weigh in and communicate in a free format without fear of reprisal or being cancelled,” he explained.

Listen:

But what about the platform itself — what is Trump doing to prevent it from being cancelled the way Parler was effectively cancelled by Amazon last year?

“The platform that the president is building is not going to rely on Amazon or Amazon servers. It’s going to be completely built from scratch from the ground up. And that’s going to give him the opportunity to control not only the distribution of it but also who participates in it — and I mean that in a positive way,” Lewandowski said.

He likely meant that only people who truly deserve to be removed — i.e., people who issue death threats and the such — will be blocked access. Meaning, in effect, that people won’t be removed for simply expressing dissenting views.

“You know, Bernie Sanders, I don’t agree with him often, but he’s absolutely right. When you can cancel the president of the United States, the leader of the freedom world, from issuing First Amendment rights and opinions, then you can cancel anybody,” he added.

“Big tech is out of control, they’re out of line and Congress needs to do something and step in and revoke section 230 and the code that gives them those protections.”

Last week Sen. Bernie Sanders spoke out subtly in defense of the former president, telling podcaster Ezra Klein of The New York Times that he’s not “particularly comfortable” with tech companies being able to arbitrarily boot people from social media networks.

Also speaking on Newsmax this Saturday, Trump’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, expressed agreement with the socialist Democrat’s rare moment of lucidity.

“He’s exactly right. They shield themselves behind the idea that these are private companies and they don’t have to follow the same rules as other outlets. They absolutely should. Our First Amendment rights to freedom of speech should be upheld across the board, period. That should be the bottom line here,” she said.

“When you have people who have the ability to censor and shut down the President of the United States, that is really scary. You might not like Donald Trump, but if it’s Donald Trump today, it could be your guy or girl tomorrow. It could be you tomorrow. It is not a good precedent. It is not good for the country. It’s not good for our standing in the world. It’s a really scary prospect.”

Listen:

If and when the former president’s social media network is finally launched, it’s expected to be “the hottest ticket in social media.” Or at least according to former Trump 2016 and 2020 campaign official Jason Miller.

“[T]his is something that I think will be the hottest ticket in social media. It’s gonna completely redefine the game, and everybody is going to be waiting and watching to see what exactly President Trump does. But it will be his own platform,” he said last Sunday on Fox News.

Until then, the president reportedly plans to continue his current strategy of reaching the public via press releases. In fact, he may very well continue releasing press releases even after the launch of his social media network.

During a phone interview last week with Fox News host Laura Ingraham, he explained the many benefits of the press release strategy.

“What I’m doing now, I almost like it better. I think I do like it better. … We’re issuing press releases. We’re no longer constrained by a certain number of characters. We’re no longer put under, you know, the magnifying glass,” he said.

“So I put out statements now from the office, and the statements are picked up by everybody. I mean, it actually works better. Now, with that being said, we may open up our own platform, but the putting out of statements … it gets to everybody.”

Published Friday, the latest press release pithily asked, “Where’s Durham? Is he a living, breathing human being? Will there ever be a Durham report?”

Vivek Saxena

Comments

Latest Articles