Powered by Topple

Child rapist released from prison to keep him safe from coronavirus

(Source: Sex Offender Registry Board)

Powered by Topple

Never has there been a better time in America to be an incarcerated criminal, be it a gangbanger like just-released gangster rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine or a pedophile like just-released child rapist Glenn Christie.

The latter reprobate is a registered sex offender who was convicted of “indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 years of age,” “rape and abuse of a child,” and “dissemination of matter harmful to minors.”

Records maintained by Massachusetts Cases show that the rape occurred in 2005 and involved a 12-year-old boy.

(Source: Sex Offender Registry Board)

“The alleged victim, whom we shall call Daniel, testified that in the summer of 2005, when he was twelve years old and he and his mother were living with the defendant, the defendant twice performed oral sex on him,” the records state.

“He testified further that he briefly complied with the defendant’s request that he penetrate the defendant anally. He also testified that the defendant went into a ‘porn store’ while Daniel waited in the car, and purchased a ‘sex toy,’ described at trial as a ‘fake penis,’ and two digital video discs (DVDs).”

Upon returning home, Christie “played one of the DVDs, showing ‘[a] male and a female having sexual intercourse’ on a DVD player in the living room.”

“The defendant also inserted the sex toy into Daniel’s anus, stopping when Daniel said he was ‘uncomfortable.’ Daniel also testified that he later saw ‘two men having sexual intercourse’ on the other DVD,” the records continue.

According to The Salem News, after Christie completed a prison term for these crimes, he went on to commit multiple probation violations. In response, last fall a judge sentenced him to return to prison for one to two more years.

But once the global coronavirus pandemic hit the United States, Christie’s lawyer rushed to capitalize on America’s suffering by lobbying for his immediate release, citing his allegedly poor health condition and the fact that he’s confined to a wheelchair.

(Source: Sex Offender Registry Board)

While a Salem Superior Court judge reportedly initially denied the request, on Wednesday the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court reinstated it.

“[T]he Supreme Judicial Court said that under the circumstances of the pandemic, a judge should now take into account the risks of keeping someone in custody in deciding whether to grant a stay,” The Salem News reported.

“The health risks to a person in custody caused by the pandemic constitute changed circumstances,” Chief Justice Ralph Gants reportedly wrote.

“We also conclude that, in conducting that (new) review, a judge must give careful consideration not only to the risks posed by releasing the defendant –- flight, danger to others or to the community, and likelihood of further criminal acts — but also, during this pandemic, to the risk that the defendant might die or become seriously ill if kept in custody.”

It’s not clear why this would be a greater concern to the court than, say, Christie potentially raping another child.

The court’s decision came five days after The Boston Globe, a left-wing paper, ran a piece bemoaning the risks being faced by incarcerated criminals in Massachusetts.

Two days after the court’s ruling, Superior Court Judge Heidi Brieger, who was nominated to the court by former Democrat Gov. Deval Patrick in 2012, approved Christie’s release on the condition that he tests negative for the coronavirus.

His attorney, Boston public defender David Rangaviz, joyfully announced the news via Twitter early Friday morning:

Christie is one of the countless criminals who’ve benefited mightily from the global coronavirus pandemic on the basis that their health concerns supersede the public’s safety.

Over in the neighboring state of New York, last week Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered the release of 1,100 parole violators who he claimed had “violated parole for non-serious reasons.”

However, his claim appears to have been a lie.

“Two men allegedly involved in a robbery where a New York City police detective was killed in friendly fire were among the violent offenders on the list of inmates slated to be released from the infamous Rikers Island jail complex due to the coronavirus pandemic, until prosecutors intervened,” ABC News has since confirmed.

The two were eventually denied release, but only because of last-minute intervention by local prosecutors. Of course, if a court winds up intervening as happened in Massachusetts, the two might still end up free.

Meanwhile over in California, this week the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation announced plans to release as many as 3,500 allegedly non-violent inmates. And once again “safety” was cited as the reason.

“We do not take these new measures lightly,” CDCR Secretary Ralph Diaz reportedly said in a statement. “Our first commitment at CDCR is ensuring safety — of our staff, of the incarcerated population, of others inside our institutions, and of the community at large. However, in the face of a global pandemic, we must consider the risk of COVID-19 infection as a grave threat to safety, too.”

Vivek Saxena

Comments

Latest Articles