Some social media users mocked New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo when, an hour after he falsely named himself a possible victim of an attempted bombing, he deployed the National Guard to various points across New York City.
“Public safety is our number one priority, and we are taking all necessary precautions to ensure the safety and security of New Yorkers,” he said in a statement posted Wednesday afternoon.
“Out of an abundance of caution, I am deploying 100 additional National Guard soldiers and directing State law enforcement to double security at vital assets across New York, including LaGuardia and JFK, mass transit systems, and bridges and tunnels.”
Out of an abundance of caution, I am deploying additional National Guard soldiers and directing State law enforcement to double security at vital transportation assets across New York.
New Yorkers have never succumbed to fear or intimidation, and today will be no different. pic.twitter.com/8XxY7jWYTJ
— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) October 24, 2018
Though Cuomo deployed the National Guard in response to the attempted bombings of several politician figures — some of them with offices in New York — some on social media accused him of using the deployment to cover up for “lying about receiving one of the packages.”
Earlier in the day the governor announced during a press conference that his Manhattan office had received a suspicious device, elluding to one of the many explosives-packed devices sent to various Democrat political figures.
“A device has been sent to my office in Manhattan, which we were just informed about, and that device is also being handled,” he said. “Again, this is a situation. A number of devices have been sent. They’re being handled. We wouldn’t be surprised if additional devices are sent, and the device that has been sent to my office has been identified and is being handled as we speak.”
Watch the full presser below:
The New York Police Department later confirmed that the “device” was just a letter and USB drive.
“The earlier suspicious package at Governor Cuomo’s office in midtown has been cleared by NYPD personnel. It was unrelated. And there was no device of any kind,” NYPD spokesman J. Peter Donald wrote on Twitter.
The earlier suspicious package at Governor Cuomo’s office in midtown has been cleared by NYPD personnel. It was unrelated. And there was no device of any kind
— J. Peter Donald (@JPeterDonald) October 24, 2018
NEW: This is the package sent to @NYGovCuomo office containing a thumb drive which has information about the Proud Boys, a right wing group invited to speak in Manhattan earlier this month by the Metropolitan Republican Club. It is NOT an explosive device. pic.twitter.com/RKgsGzcg2t
— Zack Fink (@ZackFinkNews) October 24, 2018
Combined with the governor’s National Guard deployment, this news spurred some disgruntled social media users into accusing Cuomo of grandstanding and essentially putting on a show for attention.
National Guard? Isn’t that a little overreaction! Or maybe just a cover for little Andrew Cuomo lying about receiving one of the packages? Smoke & mirrors!
— Smokey King (@smokeyandbecky) October 25, 2018
What a grandstanding douche. The suspicious device he was sent turned out to be a thumb drive.
— Robert Evans (@RobertEvansCat) October 25, 2018
You heard right. Cuomo recieved a thumb drive but he didnt want to feel left out.
— Robert Ray (@broady981) October 24, 2018
Lol your trying this with New Yorkers most of us can smell a con 50 feet away Give it Up you look so ridic right now! Quick, call the national guard the people who would back my running for President are sent movie props with fake postage all at the same time! Bugs Bunny Governor
— JennJustPlayTheGame (@JennPlayTheGame) October 25, 2018
— Jaclyn Calvin 🇺🇸 (@JaclynCee) October 25, 2018
what, playing drama queen by using the national guard to protect against all those pipe bombs?
— Bonnie Blue (@BonnieBlueTK) October 24, 2018
So after it was determined no pipe bomb was actually sent to your office you deploy the National Guard. We see through you Governor.
— Amber (@AmberGirl3) October 24, 2018
This sentiment mirrors that of those who believe that the attempted bombings of various Democrat politician figures, including former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, was committed by a Democrat intent on framing Republicans.
To be clear, no evidence has emerged to prove either this or any other conspiracy theory regarding the bombings, including the media-touted theory that the perpetrator is a conservative who was motivated to action by President Donald Trump’s allegedly dangerous rhetoric.
Latest posts by Vivek Saxena (see all)
- Trump orders agencies to cut advisory boards by ‘at least’ one-third to trim waste. Critics wring hands. - June 15, 2019
- Gowdy and Chaffetz get on a roll, and bullets start flying at the Dems - June 15, 2019
- ‘Booty slapping’ contest becomes real female Russian bodybuilding event based on male version - June 15, 2019