President Obama is so determined to close Guantanamo Bay they are willing to release anyone.
The most recent is an alleged recruiter for al-Quaida, Faez Mohammed Ahmed al-Kandari, who had been held at the facility for 14 years, according to the Pentagon in a statement about the release Friday.
The Pentagon said the continued imprisonment of al-Kandari “does not remain necessary” even though a profile of al-Kandari it released last year described him as a propagandist and recruiter for the terrorist group and added that he “probably” was Osama bin Laden’s spiritual adviser.
“The United States is grateful to the government of the State of Kuwait for its willingness to support ongoing U.S. efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention facility,” the Pentagon said.
The newly freed man will be placed in a rehabilitation program in his native Kuwait and will receive a medical examination, according to his attorney Eric Lewis.
“Mr. al-Kandari is delighted to be going home and reuniting with his beloved parents and family after all these years away,” Lewis said adding that al-Kandari “looks forward to resuming a peaceful life and to putting Guantanamo behind him.”
According to the Associated Press al-Kandari’s release marks the third this week from the Cuba based detention center.
The Pentagon said the total number of detainees remaining at Guantanamo stands at 104.
- Britney Spears shows off her rockin’ new bod, but had to spoil it with a liberal message about ‘Dreamers’ - December 24, 2017
- Border patrol forget they’re supposed to be heartless, deliver beautiful baby at the border - December 24, 2017
- After scoring tax cut victory, Trump sees ‘tremendous Democrat support’ for his next big initiative - December 24, 2017