Justice Department investigators probing both the FBI’s alleged “coup” against President Donald Trump’s presidency and its widely criticized handling of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s email scandal are now reportedly attempting to collect disgraced former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe’s text messages.
“The Department of Justice is seeking former Deputy Director Andrew McCabe’s text messages and according to government sources those will play a significant role in understanding the FBI’s probe into both President Donald Trump’s campaign and the bureaus’ handling of Hillary Clinton’s use of a private server to send government emails,” investigative reporter Sara Carter confirmed on Monday.
.@RepMattGaetz “It is imperative that the DOJ have access to the full universe of Andrew McCabe’s communications — Congress and the American people deserve transparency” DOJ Seeks McCabe’s Text Messages On FBI Probe. What Could It Reveal? https://t.co/YpNyZnuhVo
— Sara A. Carter (@SaraCarterDC) September 9, 2019
Congressional Republicans appear to be pleased by the move, in part because they’ve long been attempting to uncover McCabe’s activities and hold him accountable.
“The House Intelligence Committee tried to get the McCabe texts in the last Congress, but we were stonewalled,” House Intelligence Committing ranking member Devin Nunes said to Carter. “This is the kind of issue that really needs more transparency. There’s been too much unnecessary secrecy surrounding the entire Russia investigation — the American people deserve to know exactly what happened.”
Because congressional Democrats are now in control of the House and have zero interest in probing McCabe — let alone any other FBI figure suspected of committing wrongdoing — Nunes and other congressional Republicans were out of luck unless the DOJ took action.
“The DOJ Inspector General found that Andrew McCabe ‘lacked candor, including underneath, on multiple occasions,’ and that he disclosed sensitive information about ongoing investigations to members of the press,” Rep. Matt Gaetz added in his own statement to Carter.
“The FBI’s own Office of Professional Responsibility recommended McCabe’s firing,” he continued. “It is imperative that the DOJ have access to the full universe of Andrew McCabe’s communications. Congress and the American people deserve transparency, both to better understand McCabe’s role in the attempted ‘coup’ against President Trump, and to ensure that systemic corruption of this magnitude never happens again.”
Ironically, while some at the DOJ are now finally attempting to unravel these mysteries, others at the department are still working hard to keep them forever concealed.
Carter notes that last year the watchdog group Judicial Watch sued the DOJ for access to McCabe’s text messages but was rebuffed. This despite its suit reportedly being joined or led by Jeffery Danik, a former longtime FBI special agent.
Learn more about the suit below:
“Danik, who served 28 years in the FBI, filed a motion against the Department of Justice last year for refusing a Freedom of Information Act Request to turn over the texts, as well as McCabe’s FBI emails. Danik had originally filed an FOIA to obtain the communications two years ago,” Carter’s report reads.
According to a statement by Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton issued on Monday, his group is still waiting for a court ruling on the matter.
He did point out though that there’s a difference between the DOJ’s own investigators and the FBI.
“It is astonishing that the FBI is not only playing games with Judicial Watch and Congress but also the Justice Department on text messages,” he said. “It is as if Comey is still running the FBI.”
In a report released last summer, Department of Justice Inspector General Michael Horowitz excoriated disgraced former FBI Director James Comey for behaving in an “insubordinate” way and engaging in “ad hoc” decision-making during the FBI’s investigation into Clinton.
In another report released last month — this one concerning the memos about the president that he’d leaked to the media — the IG said that Comey “violated Department or FBI policy” by sharing his memos with the media, set a “dangerous example” for his colleagues and sought to “achieve a personally desired outcome.”
McCabe’s history with the bureau has been just as sketchy, to the point that he may very well be criminally indicted by the DOJ sometime soon.
“Federal prosecutors in Washington appear to be in the final stages of deciding whether to seek an indictment of Andrew G. McCabe, the former deputy F.B.I. director and a frequent target of President Trump, on charges of lying to federal agents, according to interviews with people familiar with recent developments in the investigation,” The New York Times confirmed late last month.
Despite his shady behavior, he was hired by CNN last month, only days before the report from Times dropped. The announcement was so stunning that it provoked unrestrained laughter from Fox News host Judge Jeanine Pirro.
“He left in disgrace, and I believe there’s a criminal referral by the inspector general. I expect him to be indicted soon based on that criminal referral,” she said. “In the end, what you’ve got now — CNN is showing its true colors — a guy who was in the middle of this … as to whether or not there was this ‘deep state’ to prevent Trump from becoming president and then framing him for Russian collusion, he’s part of the whole thing, and that’s why he’s working for CNN. He’s perfect for them!”
Source: Fox News
Latest posts by Vivek Saxena (see all)
- Tweet might be damning new evidence Rep. Omar married her brother - September 17, 2019
- Once bitten: NYT shies away from new Kavanaugh allegations - September 17, 2019
- Dem Tulsi Gabbard: Trump acting like Saudi Arabia’s b***h - September 17, 2019