By Chris White, DCNF
The Trump administration allegedly said Saturday the country is going to re-enter the Paris climate accord, according to the European Union’s top energy official.
“The U.S. has stated that they will not renegotiate the Paris accord, but they will try to review the terms on which they could be engaged under this agreement,” European Commissioner for Climate Action and Energy Miguel Arias Cañete told reporters Saturday.
The White House disputes the claim.
“There has been no change in the United States’ position on the Paris agreement…” according to a press statement on Twitter from the Trump administration. “As the President has made abundantly clear, the US is withdrawing unless we can re-enter on terms more favorable to our country.”
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders added an exclamation to that point, telling her Twitter followers Saturday afternoon that, “Our position on the Paris agreement has not changed. @POTUS has been clear, US withdrawing unless we get pro-America terms.”
Our position on the Paris agreement has not changed. @POTUS has been clear, US withdrawing unless we get pro-America terms.
— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) September 16, 2017
President Donald Trump’s alleged decision to shift course came during a meeting of more than 30 ministers from Canada, China and the European Union in Montreal. The president removed the country from the climate agreement earlier this year under the guise that the deal was not in the best interest of American business.
Trump promised to “cancel” the Paris Agreement during his presidential campaign, but his own White House was split on the issue. He has already issued executive orders to roll back Obama-era global warming regulations.
The White House said that the Paris Agreement was poorly negotiated by the Obama administration and did not put American workers first. White House aides said the administration would withdraw from the Paris accord using the process laid out in the agreement.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected].
Latest posts by BPR Wire (see all)
- Paris residents threaten hunger strike if migrants aren’t cleared from the streets - December 11, 2017
- NY Times, used to Obama’s EPA, wasn’t ready for what just happened when it ‘distorted the facts’ under Trump - December 11, 2017
- Fact check: 5 claims made by Trump during his Pensacola speech - December 11, 2017