The boardwalk and beach in Seaside Park, New Jersey have been evacuated after an explosive device detonated.
Around 5,000 people were set to run the 5K military themed “Semper Five Run” charity race on Saturday morning when the explosion, described as a pipe bomb, went off, CBS News reported.
The device exploded in a garbage can around 9:30 a.m.
Officials are currently investigating a second suspicious package in the town, according to CBS.
Carla who lives in Seaside Park heard it. On this she says 9:15, but afterwards felt around 9:30. pic.twitter.com/Sqqco3h4je
— Kurt Siegelin (@kurtsiegelin) September 17, 2016
According to city officials, there were possibly three pipe bombs in the same trash can, but only one exploded.
The pipe bomb was in a garbage can when it exploded. Authorities immediately evacuated the boardwalk and beach area and it’s not clear when it will reopen.
Officials say the race participants had been scheduled to pass by the area around the time the blast occurred. But the start of the race had been delayed after an unattended backpack was found in the area.
Numerous state and federal law enforcement agencies are investigating the incident.
The race was cancelled after the device exploded.
No injuries have been reported.
5k race cancelled due to trash can explosion & suspicious pkg Seaside Park, NJ @News12NJ pic.twitter.com/Afihza3zUj
— Randal Stanley (@rstanleyNews) September 17, 2016
BREAKING: Federal, state, local police sweeping streets for devices in Seaside Park 📷 @brian4NY #nbc4ny pic.twitter.com/UcOPkvdX1w
— Steven Bognar (@Bogs4NY) September 17, 2016
▶ Explosion in Seaside Park, New Jersey, near 5K under investigation https://t.co/uypNU3fba3 @ABC7NY pic.twitter.com/cAL4ph4LJp
— blicqer™ (@blicqer) September 17, 2016
UPDATE: Exposion in trash can prompts evacuation of Seaside Park boardwalk area https://t.co/BZcxoRDJ98 pic.twitter.com/3RPjiWhNAR
— North Jersey News (@NorthJerseybrk) September 17, 2016
BREAKING: Official: Explosion near 5K race route in Seaside Park not a prank https://t.co/qq8epJWS3b
— Rob Nelson (@RobNelsonABC7) September 17, 2016
Seaside Park explosion prompts evacuation of about 30 homes, sheriff says https://t.co/44KChPOYS5 pic.twitter.com/gpIoEKc4ar
— amNewYork (@amNewYork) September 17, 2016
Confirmed 2nd device found. First was set to go off around time race was passing area. Sick.. #Seasidepark pic.twitter.com/DZAheipzd7
— Robert (@rcp31) September 17, 2016
Carmine Sabia
Latest posts by Carmine Sabia (see all)
- Man brutally beaten, robbed by thugs in fast food line after offering to help pay for their meal - March 15, 2017
- ‘Jail time!’ President Trump just responded to Snoop Dogg’s video - March 15, 2017
- California elementary school is training new snowflakes, bans the game of tag for ‘roughness’ - March 15, 2017
