At this rate, with both federal and state agencies targeting him, former president Donald Trump will be mired in so many legal battles that he won’t have much time to campaign for a second term in the White House.
Earlier this week, a Manhattan jury found Trump’s family real estate business guilty of tax fraud and other financial crimes in a case pursued by District Attorney Alvin Bragg, who is reportedly looking to resurrect the alleged affair with porn star Stormy Daniels in the hopes of building a criminal case against the 2024 Republican presidential candidate over the hush money she was paid — for the record, Trump has denied that he had any such relationship.
On Thursday, there were reports that prosecutors with the Department of Justice are asking a federal judge to hold Trump’s office in contempt of court for failing to properly meet the terms of a subpoena ordering the return of all classified documents.
“Lawyers for the Justice Department asked U.S. District Court Judge Beryl A. Howell to impose sanctions, according to sources familiar with the contents of a sealed filing, suggesting growing frustration over private talks designed to ensure the former president has handed over all the papers,” the Daily Mail reported.
A day earlier it emerged that lawyers for Trump had uncovered still more classified government material that was removed from the White House – this time in a South Florida storage unit that housed material shipped in bulk from the White House.
When the FBI conducted an unprecedented raid on the Mar-a-Lago home of the former president over the summer, they found 18 documents marked as top secret, 54 marked secret, 31 marked as confidential, and 11,179 government documents or photographs that had no classification markings, the British tabloid noted, adding that since then the two sides “have tussled over how to handle the case.”
Citing a source, The Washington Post reported that Trump’s legal team has refused to appoint a custodian of records who would attest that all classified materials had been returned.
Trump spokesman Steven Cheung told the newspaper the former president’s legal team is cooperating with the DOJ, and called the whole affair “a political witch hunt unlike anything like this country has ever seen.”
“President Trump and his counsel continue to cooperate and be transparent, despite the unprecedented, illegal, and unwarranted attacks by the weaponized Department of Justice,” Cheung said in a statement.
Republished with permission from American Wire News Service
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- Trans activist, mom of TWO transgender kids, wants to make Minnesota a ‘trans refuge’ - February 3, 2023
- Democrats ‘triggered’ by GOP lawmakers’ assault rifle pins in support of 2A - February 3, 2023
- Judge allows wrongful death lawsuit against ‘deliberately cagey’ Rittenhouse to proceed - February 3, 2023
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.