One week after a man climbed through a window in her Bronx apartment and attempted to rape her, a 49-year-old mother of two is still terrified and furious at the “system” that allowed her accused attacker out of jail on a sweet deal so he could allegedly attack her and four other people in a single day.
Justin Washington, 25, was released on bail just weeks after he allegedly raped his teenage relative in late February. The disturbed sexual deviant scored a plea deal that handed him the prosecutors’ recommendation of just 30 days in jail and five years on probation for the rape in exchange for a guilty plea to a coercion charge, according to the New York Post.
While out, Washington allegedly went on what The Post describes as a “sex-crimes spree.” The Bronx mom, who spoke to The Post on condition of anonymity, was his second victim of the day.
He was scheduled to be sentenced in the previous case one week later.
“If he would have not gotten out of jail during this time, none of this would have happened,” the mom said. “Look what he did! They should change the system. It’s not right.”
It was her pet parrot Coco who alerted the woman, who was doing chores in her bedroom, to the intruder. The bird began “going crazy,” and the mom heard the heartstopping sound of footsteps. Bravely, she stepped into the hall.
“Then I saw a shadow,” she said. “I twisted my body to peep in the room [and] I saw the man.”
Locking eyes with Washington, the woman said, “I felt chills from my head to my toes.”
“I screamed at him, ‘What are you doing here? You are not supposed to be here,” she recounted, adding, “He was coming at me.”
She was then allegedly chased back into her bedroom by Washington, who peeled off his pants and began to masturbate.
“He acted crazy, like a person not mentally stable,” she told The Post. “He grabbed me by the shoulders and pushed me on the bed.”
According to the victim, she lunged for the phone to dial 9-1-1, but Washington knocked it from her hand, instructing her to get on the bed.
Though she managed to grab a hammer off the windowsill, the woman says Washington overpowered her, forced her legs open, and, with his pants down, sniffed her before suddenly — and bizarrely — asking her for a couple of spare dollars.
“I went down and grabbed the hammer. I was angry,” the mom recalled. “I shouted, ‘Go out, go out.’ I broke the glass in the window so he could see I wasn’t playing, I was serious. He didn’t take me seriously.”
A swift blow to his head with the hammer — and the blood that followed — caused her attacker to run.
“He went back out the way he came in,” she stated. “I was following him with the hammer.”
Last week, Washington was sent back to Rikers Island, with prosecutors claiming he broke the terms of his plea agreement. His deal with the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, led by Alvin Bragg is now thinking twice about that 30-day recommendation.
Charged with attempted rape, burglary, forcible touching, and sexually motivated felony for the alleged Sept. 15 spree, a Bronx judge set Washington’s bail at $50,000 cash bail or $150,000 bond.
But that hasn’t helped to calm the Bronx mom’s shaken nerves.
“I can’t sleep,” she said. “If I hear anything, I get up and look around. I get nervous. I get anxiety.”
A spokesperson for Bragg’s office defended the initial plea deal, claiming it was offered to avoid further potential trauma to the young victim, who would have had to testify against him. The deal, the spokesperson stated, spared her and still held Washington “accountable for his conduct.”
“As the investigation into this week’s extremely disturbing allegations in the Bronx continues, we will determine whether to ask for a lengthier jail sentence,” the spokesperson said.
Meanwhile, Washington’s court-appointed attorney in the Manhattan case, Adam Konta, insisted that his client is “entitled to due process.”
“The allegations Mr. Washington now faces in the Bronx are extremely serious, but our justice system is based on the notion that the accused are innocent until proven guilty,” he told The Post.
“Mr. Washington’s earlier plea deal, without context, is convenient fodder to attack Alvin Bragg in the comments section, but to conflate it with the charges the defendant faces now is a mistake,” Konta argued. “In reality, the sex-crimes unit in the earlier case considered a multitude of mitigating factors – including the fact that Mr. Washington was a 25-year-old with no prior record – and made a just determination.”
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- ‘20 minutes’ is all viewers can stomach of new ‘cruel and heartbreaking’ Marilyn Monroe movie - September 30, 2022
- Jim Jordan warns against retaliation when FBI whistleblowers allege ‘purge’ of conservative agents - September 30, 2022
- North Carolina sheriff under investigation after alleged racist rant threatening to fire ‘every black’ deputy - September 30, 2022
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.