80-yr-old grandmother’s Wordle habit may have saved her life after being kidnapped by naked lunatic

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE

(Video Credit: CBS Chicago)

An 80-year-old Chicago grandmother may owe her life to the popular phone game Wordle after she was kidnapped by a bloody, naked intruder who broke into her home, preventing her from sending her daughter, who lives in Seattle, her daily answers.

The intruder broke into Denyse Holt’s home during the night of Feb 5, entering her bedroom naked, bloody, and with scissors in his hand according to police. Holt reportedly didn’t think she would survive but in a strange turn of events, her fixation with Wordle intervened to save her life.

“I was in shock,” she told CBS Chicago. “I was trying to survive that’s all.”

The woman unbelievably stayed calm as the man crawled into bed with her. The man had blood on him from being cut after breaking through a window in her home. He then forced her to take a shower and a bath with him, while she was still wearing her nightgown.

“Then he said, ‘No, I’m not warm enough. We have to take a bath,'” she recalled after he pulled her out of the shower.

He dragged her out of the bath dripping wet, then allegedly went around the house disconnecting phones and leaving a trail of blood.  The violent and unstable man took two knives from her kitchen that he told Holt he “liked.”

He proceeded to barricade her in a basement bathroom using a chair as a brace against the door for the next 17 hours. The man reportedly remained upstairs during that period of time.

Holt’s daughter Meredith Holt-Caldwell got worried the next morning when she realized that her mother hadn’t read the texts she sent her and wasn’t sending her Wordle answers to her as she did every day.

“I didn’t send my older daughter a Wordle in the morning. And that was disconcerting to her,” Holt told CBS Chicago.

Holt’s daughter and other friends called the Lincolnwood, Illinois, police on Feb. 6 and asked them to conduct a welfare check. After an hours-long standoff with the unhinged intruder, a SWAT team subdued James H. Davis III, 32, and took him into custody using a stun gun.

CBS is reporting that Davis is being charged with felony home invasion with a dangerous weapon, aggravated kidnapping while armed with a dangerous weapon, and aggravated assault against a peace officer. Police believe he had a mental breakdown.

Amazingly, Holt was not harmed during the kidnapping according to police.

“I didn’t think I was going to live,” the grandmother recounted. She stated that she spent her time trapped in the small, dark, windowless room doing marching exercises and stretching to take her mind off what was going on.

“I never thought in a million years this is what was happening,” her daughter declared, “but it was.”

“I’m very lucky,” Holt said summing up her terrifying experience.

She thanked and praised the police for rescuing her, “I can’t say enough good things. They were beyond wonderful.”


Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!

Success! Thank you for donating. Please share BPR content to help combat the lies.


We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

PLEASE JOIN OUR NEW COMMENT SYSTEM! We love hearing from our readers and invite you to join us for feedback and great conversation. If you've commented with us before, we'll need you to re-input your email address for this. The public will not see it and we do not share it.

Latest Articles