Fifteen-year-old girl pleads guilty in murder of DC Uber Eats driver, receives maximum sentence

A 15-year-old girl who carjacked an Uber Eats driver in D.C. using a taser pleaded guilty to felony murder and was sentenced on Friday to being committed to the D.C. Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services until she turns 21.

After the teen cut a deal with prosecutors, other charges were dropped. She received the maximum sentence available for the homicide.

Two girls were involved in the carjacking, both from Fort Washington, Maryland. One is 15-years-old, the other is 13. Their victim was 66-year-old Mohammad Anwar, a Pakistani immigrant, who was delivering food in southeast D.C. near Nationals Park at approximately 4:30 p.m on March 23.

The girls tasered Anwar in broad daylight after asking for a ride near the Navy Yard Metro station. They sped away in the car but crashed as the man was still in the driver’s seat holding on for dear life. He struggled with the girls for control of the car.

(Video Credit: Inside Edition)

The victim was found thrown from the car after it flipped over on its side. Anwar died at a hospital following the incident.

He was a father and a grandfather who came to the U.S. seven years ago and his family is devastated. A GoFundMe campaign has raised over $1 million for the family.

“He was a hardworking immigrant who came to the U.S. in 2014 to build a better life for himself and his family. The loss for his family is immeasurable,” they sadly noted in a statement that called the crime “senseless.”

Anwar is survived by his wife and two adult children who are here in the U.S. He also has an adult son and four grandchildren in his native country of Pakistan.

After the car hit a tree and several others cars and then flipped on its side, the girls climbed out of the vehicle as Anwar lay dying on the sidewalk. The 13-year-old callously wanted to go back for her phone. Video shows how the incident unfolded.

“He’s got my cellphone!” she allegedly shouted. Others reported her making statements like “he has my phone” and “my phone is in there.”

The girls lied to bystanders and told them the car belonged to them, prosecutors said.

Both girls were quickly taken into custody by police at approximately 4:30 p.m. after two National Guard members who witnessed the crash held them at the scene of the crime. Because they are juveniles, their identities are not being released. One of the girls had been implicated in at least one other carjacking three months ago.

The 13-year-old girl pleaded guilty on Thursday to second-degree murder in juvenile court. Her sentencing is scheduled for sometime in July. It is expected that she will get the same sentence as the other girl involved in the driver’s death.

“My heart goes out to the victim’s family,” Attorney General Karl Racine remarked in a statement. “District law prohibits our office from speaking about the specifics of any juvenile case.”

Powered by Topple

Comments

Latest Articles