Third shooting near CHAZ under investigation

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE.


A man was taken to the hospital with a gunshot wound as Seattle police investigated another shooting near the  “Capitol Hill Organized Protest” zone.

Just days after Seattle’s mayor announced plans to dismantle the protest zone following other shootings, another person who was reportedly injured and met with emergency responders near the city’s “autonomous zone” was taken to the hospital in the early morning hours Tuesday.


(Source: KING 5)

The Seattle Fire Department reportedly met the unnamed man in his 30s at a designated point about a block away from the CHOP area, by the northeast corner of Cal Anderson Park.

Emergency calls about the shooting began to come into the Seattle Police Department at 4:37 a.m., according to the SPD blotter.

“The victim refused to provide any information about the circumstances surrounding the shooting or a suspect description to officers. Medics transported the victim to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of a gunshot wound to the calf,” the post read.

“There were additional reports of shots fired in the CHOP around the same time, but no additional victims were confirmed,” the SPD blotter stated.

The victim, who was shot in the calf, was taken to Harborview Medical Center for treatment for the non-life-threatening wound and there were no reports that indicated the shooting was actually related to the occupation zone.

This was yet another reported shooting in the area since Saturday when a 33-year-old man was shot and remains in critical condition at the hospital and 19-year-old Horace Anderson was shot and died. Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan finally admitted that the CHOP “atmosphere and violence has led to increasingly difficult circumstances for our businesses and residents,” despite previous insistence by supporters that the protests were peaceful.

Durkan, who told CNN earlier this month that the protest zone was akin to a “Summer of Love,” announced on Monday that the East Precinct in Capitol Hill, which was abandoned by police earlier this month, would now be taken back and the protest zone would be dismantled.

Speaking at a Students for Trump Convention in Phoenix, Arizona, President Trump warned that the “bedlam” in Seattle would be coming to other U.S. communities “if the radical left Democrats are put in charge.”

Trump denounced the “disgraceful vandalism” in the nation’s capital this week as well, as Washington, D.C. police converged on rioting mobs trying to take down statues and defacing historic properties in the area.

Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best, who had condemned the call for police to abandon the precinct earlier this month, said there were also reports of rape, arson and property destruction in the police-free area.

“We cannot walk away from the truth of what is happening here,” the police chief said at a press conference. “This is about life or death.”

Powered by Topple

Frieda Powers

Comments

Latest Articles