Op-ed views and opinions expressed are solely those of the author.
If you are a conservative who has never been to San Francisco, it can be easy to wonder what the attraction would be to such a liberal city. However, San Fran has a lot of amazing features. It has terrific weather, some of the best food I have ever eaten, a unique look because of the hills, a beautiful bay right there and lots of trendy tourist hot spots like the Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Woods (just outside of town), The Japanese Tea Garden, Coit Towers, and Alcatraz.
Even though I wouldn’t want to live there, I have no problem with saying that San Francisco is a fantastic city to visit as a tourist. Also, because it is a city that has long been entirely controlled by liberals, it can teach you some things about what liberals REALLY believe, as opposed to what they claim to believe. First and foremost:
1) They’re not so hostile to the rich: One of the great ironies of modern politics is that it’s Republicans who always seem to be defending capitalism, big business, and the wealthy, while it’s liberals who get most of their money and votes. For example, Barrack Obama won eight of America’s wealthiest counties. Additionally, according to a late October 2016 poll of wealthy Americans, “roughly the top five percent of households — 53 percent planned to vote for Mrs. Clinton while 25 percent favored Mr. Trump.” Now consider San Francisco. Did you know that an almost unbelievable 1 out of every 11,600 citizens in that city is a BILLIONAIRE? At first glance, doesn’t it seem strange that so many phenomenally wealthy people want to live in an area controlled by people who publicly attack them day in and day out?
The truth is, that is all part of a game that liberals play. On the one hand, they accuse Republicans of being in the pocket of the rich, but on the other, the 1% are buying the cooperation of Democrats up and down the line. In San Francisco, that means big tax breaks for wealthy tech firms, new housing for regular people getting blocked because the rich don’t want it and special tech buses allowed to move workers around the city in faster lanes while the little people have to sit in traffic. Maybe Republicans should take a lesson from this and stop being such cheap dates for the super-wealthy if the Warren Buffets of the world are going to line up behind the Left in every election.
2) They don’t mind income inequality: You hear an awful lot of talk from liberals about the horrors of income inequality. Of course, the places in America with the worst income inequality are almost uniformly liberal cities. In San Francisco, it’s worse than most people can even imagine. I used UBER multiple times per day the last time I was there and I did not run across a single driver that actually lived in San Francisco. None of them could AFFORD IT – and no wonder. San Francisco is the 2nd most expensive place in America to live. Believe it or not, HUD considers someone making $120,000 a year in San Francisco to be “low income.” Combine that with the fact that the average home costs $820,000 and many of the people making billionaires coffee, cleaning their houses and cooking their food can’t even afford to live in the same city where they work.
3) They have great difficulty with practical governance: Did you know that in San Francisco they have such a huge problem with the homeless using drugs and spraying their excrement on the sidewalks that they’ve spent 70 million dollars in a year cleaning it all up? There’s even a “poop map” showing the locations where people have reported human excrement. As you can see, the number of places you’re safe to walk without shoes in San Francisco is pretty small:
On top of that, the crime and drugs in San Francisco are just as out of control as the homeless population. In fact, San Francisco is America’s leader in property crime. This quote gives you an idea of what life is like for the people that aren’t making enough money to live in the nicest parts of the city:
“When we walk out the door, we know that there is a 100 percent chance we’ll see someone on drugs, in various states of undress, blood on sidewalks, and discarded sharps. These are crimes no one in City Hall seems to care about. When you say something about it, you’re called a fascist.”
Then there’s the fact that perhaps understandably given San Francisco’s notoriously raunchy gay pride parades, San Fran is practically a “childless city.” In fact, with only 13% of the population being kids, it has the lowest percentage of children of any city in America.
In San Francisco, crime, drugs and the homeless are out of control, regular Joes are being priced out of the city and it’s not a good place to raise children, but they are a “sanctuary city” for illegal aliens and the San Francisco Board of Supervisors decided earlier this month to start using the words “justice-involved person” instead of felon. It’s good to see that the most liberal city on earth has their priorities in order.
Laugh at how ridiculous all of this is if you want but remember the people that run the Democratic Party have the exact same mentalities as the people that run San Francisco. If they get their way, one day they will do the same thing to the whole country that they have already done to that city.
- Seven reasons American culture has become toxic - October 13, 2019
- 25 lies liberals will tell you - October 6, 2019
- Why Elizabeth Warren’s wealth tax would be terrible for America - October 5, 2019