Two months after The Washington Post smeared students of Covington Catholic High School as hateful bigots, the left-wing “news” outlet finally began to try to atone for its sins by posting an “Editor’s Note” admitting that much of what it’d written in January had been bunk.
“A Washington Post article first posted online on Jan. 19 reported on a Jan. 18 incident at the Lincoln Memorial,” the note reads. “Subsequent reporting, a student’s statement and additional video allow for a more complete assessment of what occurred, either contradicting or failing to confirm accounts provided in that story.”
You don’t say? The Post and other demonstrably left-wing media outlets responded to the Lincoln Memorial incident by falsely accusing the Covington students, including Nick Sandmann, of harassing and taunting a Native American man named Nathan Phillips.
Sandmann’s name, in particular, went viral after a video that showed him smiling (or “smirking,” as the media put it) in Phillips’ face began circulating on social media. The media claimed that he’d gotten in the Native American man’s face to bully and taunt him. Except other video evidence acquired and shared by conservative media proved otherwise:
“The high school student facing Phillips issued a statement contradicting his account; the bishop in Covington, Ky., apologized for the statement condemning the students; and an investigation conducted for the Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School found the students’ accounts consistent with videos,” the Post’s note continues.
“Subsequent Post coverage, including video, reported these developments: ‘Viral standoff between a tribal elder and a high schooler is more complicated than it first seemed’; ‘Kentucky bishop apologizes to Covington Catholic students, says he expects their exoneration’; ‘Investigation finds no evidence of ‘racist or offensive statements’ in Mall incident.'”
And yet the Post waited until March 1 to retract its inordinately flawed initial reporting. It’s no wonder Sandmann isn’t even remotely impressed.
“Too little, too late,” his attorney L. Lin Wood of Hemmer DeFrank Wessels said to Fox News.
Wood and fellow attorney Todd McMurty filed a $250 million lawsuit against the Post late last month on behalf of the 16-year-old teen.
The suit accuses the Post of “engaging “in a modern-day form of McCarthyism” wherein it “attacked, vilified, and threatened” Sandmann for being a “white, Catholic student wearing a red ‘Make America Great Again’ souvenir cap” who had the apparent gall to smile innocently as a Native American man rudely banged a drum in his face.
BREAKING: Lawyers representing Nick Sandman have filed a $250 Million lawsuit against The Washington Post: https://t.co/X6JLVVdvav
“This is only the beginning.”
— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) February 19, 2019
Earlier last month Sandmann’s attorneys submitted “letters for potential lawsuits to over 50 entities ranging from Democratic politicians to celebrities to media figures,” warning them to retract their false reports and apologize or face lawsuits like the one against the Post.
“We want to change the conversation. We don’t want this to happen again. We want to teach people a lesson,” attorney Todd McMurtry remarked at the time, adding that the media’s false reports “permanently stained (Nick’s) reputation.”
“For the mob to just go tear apart a 16-year-old boy is inexcusable. He’ll never be able to get away from this.”
Speaking of smears and lies, the Post also finally admitted on Friday that Phillips is a hack by deleting a tweet from January in which it had identified him as a Vietnam War veteran:
The Post has issued an Editor’s Note about updates to its initial coverage of the Jan. 18 incident at the Lincoln Memorial: https://t.co/rhzKZ1715K
We’ve also deleted this Jan. 19 tweet in light of later developments. For more, see the Editor’s Note. pic.twitter.com/O7qCSnBMPO
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) March 1, 2019
In fairness to the Post’s “journalists,” the Native American man and known left-wing activist had lied to them about his past. He, in fact, has a history of claiming to be a Vietnam War veteran.
However, this information has been known publicly since late January. Why only now is the Post correcting its false reporting?
Social media users believe they’re just trying to protect themselves from Sandmann’s suit. In other words, they’re afraid — very, very, very afraid.
Wow! It’s like you’re afraid of a lawsuit or something
— Alexandria Polorcasio Vortex (Scottergate ?) (@Scottergate) March 2, 2019
Getting sued for 250 million dollars for defamation would cause a ‘news’ paper to do that. ?
— Mark Dice (@MarkDice) March 1, 2019
Lawsuit has been filed. They’re trying to cover tracks now, as they see the hangman approaching.
— Schickrateez (@Schickrateez) March 1, 2019
Hahaha! What a lame attempt to feign intellectual honesty weeks – weeks after we all knew their coverage was embarrassingly partisan.
— Justin Thompson (@jltho) March 2, 2019
Hurts when the lawyers tell you it’s finally time to start telling the truth, huh?
— Daniel Lee (@RealDanLee) March 1, 2019
And by brave, I mean “nice of your attorneys to advice you correctly.”
— Adam Trahan (@AdamTrahan) March 1, 2019
I mean, maybe, and I’m just spitballing here, maybe they wouldn’t be facing a massive defamation lawsuit had they done this right away and issued an apology… Maybe.
— Annie•V (@AV_SardonicWaif) March 1, 2019
You could not possibly be more pathetic or obvious here. Just glad somebody finally calling out your form of “journalism”. Democracy dies in darkness? That becomes more funny every day coming from this pack of partisan hacks.
— Virtue Signaling Translator (@vrtusgnltrnsltr) March 1, 2019
Wow. Truly impressive journalism! Thanks WaPo for your gas lighting lies and a “correction” most of us expected 5-6 weeks ago. #NoCredibility.
— Troy Ballard (@Troy_B_nSac) March 2, 2019
Take note of the libel suit, did you? Would have been nice if honesty caused the changes
— George L. Duncan (@GeorgeLDuncan) March 1, 2019