Though out of office now for nearly a year and a half, former President Barack Hussein Obama continues to cost taxpayers bundles of money — nearly $200 million, in fact.
How so? Because of a budget signed into law by Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner earlier this month that earmarked $174 million for road work to be completed around the spot in Chicago’s Jackson Park where the Obama Presidential Center will lie upon completion in 2021.
“The Obama Presidential Center will be a transformational project for Chicago’s south side, and this state funding demonstrates Illinois’ commitment to honoring the legacy of Chicago’s favorite son and daughter,” Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel proudly announced in a statement Friday, referencing Obama and his wife, former first lady Michelle Obama.
While the former president and his wife admittedly grew up in Chicago, it remains unclear why Emanuel considers them to be “Chicago’s favorite son and daughter.”
“The state’s $174 million investment in infrastructure improvements near the Obama Center on the South Side of Chicago is money well spent,” he reportedly added in another statement.
Says who? Certainly not local parks activists, who filed a lawsuit last month to block the construction of Obama’s presidential center on the basis that it’s a fraud.
When the Obama Foundation first sought to lease parts of Jackson Park three years ago for its project, it convinced the city of Chicago that it planned to construct an official library to be managed by federal officials. But after receiving the lease, Obama suddenly decided to not include his official presidential library within the center.
So instead of serving as an official presidential library with historic documents and archives from the Obama administration, the center will be a standard library run by the Obama Foundation for its own “self-determined use,” according to the suit.
Listen to one frustrated activist in the following Fox News clip recorded back in January:
It’s another Obama scam — just like the slave trade photo scam, the DACA scam and the “Drink Up” scam. It’s all “huey,” as Obama would put it, and thanks to Illinois’ left-wing government, locals get to pay for it.
But any leftists who want to decry critics’ complaints about the presidential center’s costs to taxpayers better think twice before trying to play the race card this time. One of the center’s most vocal critics, Rev. B. Herbert Martin Sr., is himself a black man just like the former president.
“The citizens of Chicago have been told repeatedly that we must make tough fiscal choices for our city. Our streets run red with blood from gun violence even as nonprofits dedicated to violence prevention are woefully underfunded. Schools have been closed in our most vulnerable communities due to lack of funding. Community members face eviction and displacement from their homes because of gentrification across our city,” he wrote in a poignant op-ed last month.
“When facing these challenges, there is simply no justice in asking taxpayers to pay $200 million for a new private center,” he added.
- ‘Pathetic’ CNN slammed as royal disgrace for piece on Prince Philip’s death labeling him ‘occasionally racist’ - April 11, 2021
- Michigan Gov. Whitmer’s top aide defies her travel warning to vacation in Florida; shares photos online - April 11, 2021
- Biden supports MLB boycott of Georgia, but his Sec. of State says admin ‘not focused’ on boycotting 2022 Beijing Olympics - April 11, 2021