Hollywood and hypocrisy go hand in hand… to the surprise of few.
A Parents Television Council study shows portrayals of gun violence on television have increased dramatically in recent years, to include shows deemed appropriate for children.
This coming after Hollywood “declared war on American gun culture in 2013 with a public service announcement calling for stricter gun control” after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, The Washington Times reported.
Pointing to this month’s March for Our Lives gun control rally in Washington, D.C. featuring students who survived the Parkland, Florida, high school shooting, the paper informed readers that Hollywood “is back on the attack.”
Prominent stars like George Clooney and Oprah Winfrey have offered substantial financial support for the rally — half a million dollars apiece — and are expected to attend the event.
The Times also noted that actors Michael Keaton and Sally Field “have blamed the NRA, Second Amendment advocates and Republicans for the 17 deaths at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last month.”
Outspoken actress Jennifer Lawrence, who recently announced that she’s taking a year off from making films — some of which feature guns — to save the world, said “the problem is guns, not the entertainment industry.”
But not all actors are lost in liberal La-La land, The Times reported:
A few Hollywood voices beg to differ. Comedic actress/writer Amy Schumer revealed how she modified a sequence in her 2017 flop “Snatched” to remove gun violence from the story.
Megan Boone of NBC’s “The Blacklist” tweeted how she would change her character’s behavior on the hit show after the Parkland shooting.
“Liz Keen will never carry an assault rifle again and I am deeply sorry for participating in glorifying them in the past,” the actress tweeted.
Of all people, disgraced sexual predator Harvey Weinstein suggested a summit in 2012 on movie violence, The Times said, though the meeting never materialized — due to the perv’s sexual appetite, perhaps.
“Media violence experts from around the country reached out to him and said, ‘Let’s do this,’” Parents Television Council President Tim Winter explained to The Times. “They never heard back from him.”
And Hollywood is still making a king’s ransom portraying violence.
“More than ever before, they are making a fortune off of dress rehearsals of bloody slaughter,” Winter added. “The hypocrisy could not be stronger. It’s off the charts.”
Latest posts by Tom Tillison (see all)
- Take it slow, Joe: Biden promises more jobs for women than there are U.S. citizens - September 18, 2019
- Elizabeth Warren one-ups Biden with segregationist gaffe, but will media care? - September 18, 2019
- So much for bipartisanship — AZ senator faces backlash for backing Trump agenda - September 18, 2019