Will Ricciardella, DCNF
CNN published a list of alleged hate groups compiled by the Southern Poverty Law Center, a far-left organization known for spuriously including conservative groups it disagrees with, continuing a trend by a sympathetic establishment media to parrot the organization without proper due diligence or scrutiny.
“The Alabama-based nonprofit activist group tracks civil rights and hate crimes and defines a hate group as an organization with ‘beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics,’” writes CNN’s Dakin Andone before publishing the SPLC’s lengthy “hate group” list.
Here are five groups included on the list that are not hate groups:
- Alliance Defending Freedom – Christian civil rights group
- Family Research Council – Christian group defending traditional family values
- Federation for American Immigration Reform – promotes assimilation and advocates stricter immigration laws.
- Center for Immigration Studies – researches the implications of increased immigration on society
- ACT For America – opposes radical Islam and sharia law
In July, former Attorney General Ed Meese slammed the organization for labeling Alliance Defending Freedom, a civil rights group defending religious liberty, as a hate group.”The designation had nothing to do with the law firm’s policies or behavior,” wrote Meese.
“It’s just that the SPLC objects to its traditional views on the Constitution, the First Amendment and the meaning of marriage. No responsible media outlet should parrot the SPLC’s hate list without seeking to understand not only its motives but also the consequences of spreading false charges,” he continued.
Andone’s report treats the list as definitive and the be-all and end-all of what constitutes a hate group. “But since the FBI doesn’t keep track of domestic hate groups, the SPLC’s tally is the widely accepted one” writes Andone, curiously leaving out by whom the list is accepted.
What Andone also fails to mention, however, is that the FBI abandoned the SPLC’s list as a “resource” in 2014 after it inspired a domestic terrorist attack the the Family Research Council’s headquarters in Washington D.C. by referring to the Christian organization as “anti-gay.”
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]
We know first-hand that censorship against conservative news is real. Please share stories and encourage your friends to sign up for our daily email blast so they are not getting shut out of seeing conservative news.
Latest posts by BPR Wire (see all)
- Oakland teachers walk out of district with more than 36,000 students over ‘unlivable’ salaries - February 21, 2019
- Northam cancels ‘reconciliation tour’ at historically black college after student body leader tells him to stay away - February 21, 2019
- Trump weighs in on Smollett’s arrest: How about an apology to the tens of millions you insulted - February 21, 2019