Last month, President Trump announced his decision to skip this year’s White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) dinner, and now the entire White House staff plans to skip the event in “solidarity” with Trump.
WHCA President Jeff Mason said the group’s board “regrets this decision very much,” according to The Hill.
A statement issued by Mason reads: “We have worked hard to build a constructive relationship with the Trump White House and believe strongly that this goal is possible even with the natural tension between the press and the administration that is a hallmark of a healthy republic.”
Certainly, tensions between the Trump Administration and the press are likely at a historic high. In fact, what Mason might forget is the fact that, before Trump withdrew from the event, several liberal reporters were already planning boycotts of their own.
The Hill reports that the president could attend future White House Correspondent’s Dinners. In a February interview with FoxNews, Trump said, “That doesn’t mean I’m not going to do it next year. But I just thought it would be better if I didn’t do it this year.”
So far, the April 29 show, meant to raise money to award scholarships to future reporters, is expected to go on, but with so many traditional participants skipping out, perhaps they should consider letting everyone mail their donations in and calling it a night.
— David Howard-Jones (@dhowardjones) March 29, 2017
Op-ed views and opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of BizPac Review.
Wake up right! Receive our free morning news blast HERE
- West Point accepts Parkland student’s application to military academy after his tragic death - February 21, 2018
- Nancy Pelosi is in middle of grandstanding at Arizona townhall when question yelled from audience grinds it to a halt - February 21, 2018
- Columbine survivor blows media’s plan to exploit naive students – here’s what happens when they grow up - February 20, 2018