Mitt Romney dined with Donald Trump and the press ate it up.
The failed 2012 presidential candidate enjoyed dinner with President-elect Trump at French eatery Jean-Georges near New York’s Central Park amid continuing speculation that Romney is being considered for Secretary of State.
— Hunter Walker (@hunterw) November 30, 2016
Reince Priebus also attended the dinner, where the unsuspecting trio was photographed by several sharp-eyed reporters.
The dinner menu for the president-elect included the following, according to the NY Post:
- Appetizers: Garlic soup with thyme and sautéed frog legs
- Small plates: Diver scallops with caramelized cauliflower and a caper raisin emulsion
- Main Course: Prime sirloin with a citrus glaze or lamb chops with mushroom bolognese sauce.
- Dessert: Chocolate cake (and humble pie for Mittens).
— The New York Times (@nytimes) November 30, 2016
Romney — who did everything he could to stop Trump from getting elected — said he feels optimistic about the future of the United States with Trump as president:
“I happen to think America’s best days are ahead of us and I think you’re going to continue to see America lead the world in this century. And what I’ve seen through these discussions I’ve had with president-elect Trump — as well as his selection as part of his transition — all of those things combined give me increasing hope that president-elect Trump is the very man that can lead us to that future.”
Romney’s sycophantic praise is a shocking about-face from months ago, when he held two press conferences to trash Trump as a “fraud, a phony, and a con man.”
Latest posts by Samantha Chang (see all)
- Trump rubs lawsuit loss in ‘Nervous Nancy’ Pelosi’s face, then calls her a ‘criminal’ - June 15, 2019
- Mike Huckabee ‘surprised and shocked’ by Axelrod’s attack on his daughter, but then again, CNN pays him - June 15, 2019
- ‘Wow, the crowds!’ Jim Acosta posts book signing photos, proves he still doesn’t understand optics - June 13, 2019