Want more hot BPR News stories? Sign up for our morning blast HERE
Marines and civilian support personnel in Okinawa, Japan, have been handed six new, onerous liberty restrictions, including a midnight curfew, per a report from the III Marine Expeditionary Force, Okinawa, Japan, according to Townhall.
The restrictions were in response to two acts of misconduct, with their purpose being “to observe a period of unity and mourning by curtailing off-installation activities.”
Whatever that means.
Here are the restrictions:
• All ranks, including officers, must be on base by midnight.
• Alcohol may not be purchased or consumed off base.
• Patronizing off-base bars and clubs is prohibited.
• Parties may not be held off base.
• Personally owned vehicles entering installations between midnight and 5 a.m. are subject to sobriety checkpoints.
• No Marine on Okinawa may stay overnight off base unless it is their residence; however, these restrictions do not apply to those on special liberty or on leave outside of Okinawa.
One of those “acts of misconduct” was the alleged murder of a Japanese woman by a civilian worker and former Marine. When President Obama was in Japan last week for the G7 Summit, he was publicly dressed down by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe for the incident, according to Politico.
Could it be that Obama’s visit and his public humiliation had something to do with the new rules?
“My intention is for all SOFA [Status of Forces Agreement] status personnel to consider their roles as ambassadors to Japan and good neighbors with the people of Okinawa, as reflected in their personal conduct during the period of mourning,” III MEF commander Lt. Gen. Lawrence Nicholson said in a statement.
“Additionally, we honor and mourn the tragedies affecting the victims of two heinous crimes. These incidents do not accurately represent the behavior of the more than 50,000 SOFA status personnel living in Okinawa who lawfully, peacefully and positively engage with our Okinawan neighbors on a daily basis.”
Sign up for our morning blast HERE
- ‘Act like a grownup’: Drunk driver sobs when she loses plea deal by coming 4 hours late to court - July 23, 2017
- ‘I would’ve fired her the day I met her’: Glenn Beck reveals more about Tomi Lahren mess - July 23, 2017
- Canadian thug beats 74-year-old cyclist bloody with a club in road rage fit– and they say US is more violent? - July 23, 2017