A teen who has confessed to mowing down a mother and her 8-month-old baby in a stolen car has requested an early release from a juvenile probation camp after LA District Attorney George Gascon gave him five to seven months for it.
(Video Credit: Fox News)
The horrifying incident occurred last year in Venice Beach, California. Video shows the teen plowing into the mother and baby, sending them flying before taking off. A good Samaritan in a pickup truck rammed him off the road to stop him.
The baby miraculously escaped serious injury, however, the child did have a tire-tread-shaped bruise on the back of his scalp. The mother, Rachel, suffered severe cuts on her arms, hands, and shoulder and slipped three discs in her back as a result of the hit and run which sent her rolling over the hood of the car.
Pictures show the driver as a thin, white male wearing clothes that appeared too big and a “Scooby Doo” neck tattoo. As he spoke with officers outside the stolen car, his eyes were barely open. The teen was on probation at the time for poisoning a high school girl.
The judge considering the request on Thursday did not reach a decision in the case and says he wants more information before granting the release.
(2/4) Per multiple law enforcement sources, the juvie was on probation, & violating it, at the time of this hit & run, and he had been previously convicted of felony poisoning after he spiked a teen girl’s drink at Palmdale high school in 2019. She was hospitalized. @FoxNews
— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) June 5, 2022
This same 16-year-old boy has been involved in at least 14 fights while serving his sentence, according to authorities. He has also been written up for allegations of misconduct, disobedience, destructive language, and defiance of authority.
“The reports from his time in probation show that he is not rehabilitated, and he shouldn’t be released early,” Shea Sanna, who is the deputy district attorney that argued against the teen’s early release, told Fox News Digital on Thursday.
The suspect’s name is not being released due to his age. He appeared in court with his mother.
GASCON continues to endanger the residents of Los Angeles County on a daily basis.
I voted for his recall.
— Karen Coombs (@coombs1109) September 23, 2022
There was a conflict that resulted in a delay concerning whether the victim and members of the media could observe the proceedings. After that was settled, the defense introduced a motion for early release. The prosecution objected and the judge chose to resume the proceedings on Sept. 28. Those who authored the probation report will be asked to testify under oath at that time.
The driver pleaded guilty to three felony charges, two for assault and one for attempting to flee the scene of the crime. Current and former prosecutors assert the boy should have faced additional charges considering the severity of the crime and the evidence presented.
Gascon’s office claimed that the driver was charged with “the most serious offenses possible under the law.”
Gascon is the most unqualified and incompetent DA’s LA has ever seen.
— Ant20insfv (@ant20insfv) September 22, 2022
The mother called the hit-and-run attempted murder and slammed the DA’s office for trivializing it. The boy reportedly had drugs in his system at the time of the incident but was not drunk, according to the Daily Mail.
Originally, Gascon’s office claimed that the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department was responsible. The DA would eventually retract that assertion since the sheriff’s department had no connection to the case and was not the investigating agency.
Gascon accused those reporting on his handling of the case of spreading “misinformation.”
He declared that it was “important that the public knows the facts” and alleged that “a minor, driving under the influence, struck a woman and her child with a car in Venice.”
There is misinformation circulating about an incident that occurred last summer in which a minor, driving under the influence, struck a woman and her child with a car in Venice. It is important that the public knows the facts. 1/6
— George Gascón (@LADAOffice) June 6, 2022
Gascon then failed to charge the minor with driving under the influence. Instead, he stuck him in the juvenile probation camp which has been described by prosecutors as stricter than summer camp but less severe than military school.
Rachel claims she was not given an opportunity to speak Thursday.
In her victim impact statement, she wrote, “I thought those were the last moments of our lives; we were dead. That feeling, along with the memory of a car accelerating directly into us, will haunt me forever.”
“As the car approached me and my child, I stopped walking and moved the stroller and myself up against a building on the right side of the road to ensure that we gave the reckless driver plenty of room to pass,” Rachel stated.
“As the car got dangerously close to us, KB turned the wheels in our direction and accelerated as he aimed to kill us. I was also told that his record would be wiped clean when he turns 18,” she charged. “How on earth can that be? He tried to murder two innocent pedestrians. Murder. And we have video evidence. My child would be dead if I hadn’t been there to protect him.”
Our campaign released our first statewide digital ad for the general election today.
Rachel's experience is an unfortunate reminder that for Bonta and Gascon, the interests of criminals, not victims, come first. pic.twitter.com/upZ5dBDrpl
— Nathan Hochman (@NathanHochmanAG) September 22, 2022
“I remain incredibly disappointed with the justice system in LA, but I am unsurprised to learn that I am yet again being denied my rights as a victim to participate and use my voice in the judicial process,” an incensed Rachel told Fox News Digital. “F*** George Gascon.”
She’s had enough and is selling her house and getting out of Los Angeles.
“I cannot get out of here fast enough,” she said.
Get out of LA. Leave it to the thugs and the corruption. California is no place for real people.
— Elizabeth Bricker (@BrickHsBetty) September 23, 2022
Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- Will media give Jill Biden the Melania treatment over post-hurricane fashion choices? - October 6, 2022
- ‘He says you’re lying’: Brian Kilmeade grills Herschel Walker on son’s video accusations - October 6, 2022
- DC’s deputy mayor violently grabs Gold’s Gym trainer by the throat on video, Mayor Bowser comments - October 6, 2022
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.