Perhaps as many as 100,000 Americans who died from complications related to COVID-19 would still be alive if research had not been suppressed and treatments including one sought by then-President Donald Trump had been made available to patients, said a Tuesday report.
Last fall, Dr. Peter McCullough, vice chief of internal medicine at Baylor University Medical Center, along with three other experts, gave an outline of safe and currently available treatments to the Senate Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee, according to Children’s Health Defense.
About three weeks later on Dec. 8, Dr. Pierre Kory, a critical care specialist at the University of Wisconsin, provided additional information on available COVID-19 treatments when he appeared before the same committee.
However, in a conversation with McCullough in March of this year, Children’s Health Defense Chairman Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. recounted that “we’ve seen this very strange conflict … that many of those treatments that could save lives, instead of being promoted and investigated and studied by the health authorities, are instead being sabotaged and made … inaccessible.”
In his testimony, Kory added that the federal government’s “near-complete” absence of research on potential treatment options “apart from vaccines” is “unconscionable,” according to the Children’s Health Defense report.
“The tragic fallout of this government strategy is now becoming apparent,” the organization noted in a press release. “In a recent working paper analyzing the determinants of COVID-19 fatalities, the authors — Michigan State University economics professor Mark Skidmore and co-author Hideki Toya — estimated ‘if the U.S. had made [hydroxychloroquine] widely available early on, 80,000 to 100,000 lives could have been saved.'”
The release notes further that McCollough came to the same conclusions when it told senators in mid-November the United States “could have saved half of the lives lost” if additional coronavirus treatment options had not been kept under wraps.
Trump was an early advocate for the use of hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 patients, as were some medical professionals.
“As early as March and April 2020, doctors began communicating — with cautious optimism — their experiences using interventions with years or decades of safe use behind them, including the promising repurposing of well-known drugs (for example, hydroxychloroquine, the inhaled steroid budesonide and ivermectin) as well as positive results from judicious use of supplements and therapies such as vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin B1 (thiamine), zinc, iodine and nebulized hydrogen peroxide,” Children’s Health Defense said. “They also noted that some of these interventions functioned equally well as prophylaxis.”
In July 2020, physicians held a “White Coat Summit” in Washington, D.C., to tout what they said were successful coronavirus treatments including, and in particular, repurposing hydroxychloroquine, which was originally developed to treat malaria.
Months before, in May, Trump announced publicly that he was taking the medication prophylactically. At the time, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said it “was a personal deliberation with [White House physician Dr. Sean Conley] and the president. But as has been noted, the president has said pretty widely this is a drug that he has looked at with optimism.”
Children’s Health Defense noted that there are now some 300 studies regarding the use of hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID patients and that they “consistently show positive effects with early treatment and appropriate dosing.”
- Climate activists arrested outside Ted Cruz’s home, demand Biden stop negotiations with GOP - June 22, 2021
- Candace Owens: U.S. government is engaged in criminal actions through massive expansion of power - June 22, 2021
- Trump: ‘I never admitted’ 2020 defeat, we’ll ‘have to see what happens’ with audits - June 22, 2021