Officials in Iran continue to make threats against President Donald Trump amid the looming anniversary of a U.S. strike that killed an Iranian general.
A top official in Tehran warned that Trump and others responsible for the death of Gen. Qasem Soleimani last year “will not be safe on Earth,” echoing the tone of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani who said of Trump this week that “in a few days, the life of this criminal will end.”
As Iran gets set to mark the first anniversary of the assassination of the top general in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, officials have been ramping up the rhetoric against Trump and others. Speaking at an event in Tehran Friday paying tribute to Soleimani, Iran’s judiciary chief declared that Trump, who ordered the 2020 drone strike in Baghdad, was not “immune from justice,” according to a report in The Times of Israel.
“They will witness severe revenge,” Ebrahim Raisi told a gathering at Tehran University. “What has come so far has only been glimpses.”
IRGC Quds Force chief Esmail Qaanipic.twitter.com/KoLgwQFpkb
— Heshmat Alavi (@HeshmatAlavi) January 1, 2021
“Do not presume that someone, as the president of America, who appeared as a murderer or ordered a murder, may be immune from justice being carried out. Never,” Raisi continued. “Those who had a role in this assassination and crime will not be safe on Earth.”
The event attended by Iranian officials reportedly included speakers from allied countries and forces such as Syria, Iraq, Lebanon and Yemen. Soleimani’s successor, Esmail Ghaani, also issued a warning at Friday’s event.
“It’s even possible that there are people inside your home [the United States] that will respond to your crime,” he said, adding to the inflammatory posturing by the nation’s leaders who, no doubt, have been emboldened by the idea that Trump will soon be replaced by a predictably weak Joe Biden.
“Donald Trump will not be safe anywhere in the world,” said Ebrahim Raisi, head of #Iran‘s so-called judiciary.
Raisi is notorious for his role in the 1988 massacre of thousands of political prisoners in Iran & is dubbed as the “Raisi, the Hangman” by the Iranian people. pic.twitter.com/gZFYifcYBn
— Heshmat Alavi (@HeshmatAlavi) January 1, 2021
Gen. Hossein Salami, the top commander of the Revolutionary Guard, did not name the U.S. directly, but made it clear in his comments that Iran is not intimidated.
“Today, we have no problem, concern or apprehension toward encountering any powers. We will give our final words to our enemies on the battlefield,” Salami said.
The Iran Foreign Ministry continued the chest-thumping and also slammed the U.S. in a Twitter post on Friday.
By committing a craven act of terror against Gen Soleimani, the US violated int’l law & the UN Charter in a blatant violation of Iraqi sovereignty.
— Iran Foreign Ministry 🇮🇷 (@IRIMFA_EN) January 1, 2021
Addressing the Iranian Cabinet about the “martyred” Soleimani earlier this week, Iran’s president also delivered his puffed-up display of machismo.
“One of the effects of this stupid and disgraceful act was that Trumpism ended and in a few days, the life of this criminal will end and he will go to the dustbin of history, he said in an English translation that was posted by the Iranian government.
“We are very happy about this and we believe that the period after Trump will be a better condition for regional and global stability,” Rouhani said. “As I said after the martyrdom of Martyr Soleimani, I emphasize again that if you cut off Martyr Soleimani’s hand, we will cut off your leg from the region and we will continue the resistance until that day.”
“Our nation will not give up until they take revenge on his blood as its right,” he added.
He also accused Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as the ”main perpetrators of this crime,” vowing that Iran “won’t let them get away” with it and that the nation has “every right to avenge the blood of their popular commander.”
Earlier this week, the U.S. military flew two B-52 bombers over the Persian Gulf in “a 36-hour show-of-force mission,” according to Military.com, which noted that it was “the third time in six weeks that U.S. B-52s had flown near Iran.”
“We do not seek conflict, but no one should underestimate our ability to defend our forces or to act decisively in response to any attack,” Marine Gen. Frank McKenzie, commander of U.S. Central Command, said in a statement Wednesday. “The U.S. continues to deploy combat-ready capabilities into the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility to deter any potential adversary.”
Trump issued a warning himself after rocket attacks last month on the U.S. Baghdad Embassy’s “Green Zone.”
“Some friendly health advice to Iran,” the president wrote on Twitter. “If one American is killed, I will hold Iran responsible. Think it over.”
…Some friendly health advice to Iran: If one American is killed, I will hold Iran responsible. Think it over.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 23, 2020
- Family denied food for not having vax card; raw and powerful footage …THIS is how to fight back - September 16, 2021
- Biden jumps on FDA approval: ‘Today, I am calling on private sector to impose vaccine mandates’ - August 23, 2021
- Next time your server asks to see a vaccine card, here’s what to do … - August 20, 2021