Biden campaign spox argues Twitter’s response to Hunter Biden story ‘makes clear’ allegations are ‘false’

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE


CHECK OUT WeThePeople.store for best SWAG!

The national spokesman for the presidential campaign of Democratic nominee Joe Biden claimed Thursday that bombshell allegations about the former vice president and Hunter Biden published this week by the New York Post must be false because Twitter is censoring the content.

In an interview with Cheddar, Jamal Brown said the campaign was grateful for the social media platform’s attempts to “limit misinformation.”

“I think Twitter’s response to the actual article itself makes clear that these, you know purported allegations are false, and they’re not true,” Brown said. “Glad to see, you know, social media companies like Twitter, taking responsibility to limit misinformation.”

The Post reported Wednesday that Hunter Biden allegedly attempted to use his father’s influence when he was serving as vice president as a means of securing lucrative positions with the firms of foreign oligarchs.

In particular, the Post reported — based on emails the paper obtained on a hard drive copied from a laptop abandoned at a Delaware repair shop last year and since turned over to the FBI — that Hunter Biden introduced his father to Vadym Pozharskyi, a high-ranking official with Ukrainian energy firm Burisma.

According to the emails, the introduction came less than a year before the VP pressed government officials in Kyiv to terminate a top prosecutor who was investigating the firm for corruption at a time when Hunter Biden was a board member.

Last fall, Biden said he never discussed his son’s foreign business dealings, a statement at odds with the emails obtained by the Post.

“I don’t know what he was doing,” Joe Biden would later say, repeating his previous statement. “I know he was on the board. I found out he was on the board after he was on the board, and that was it.”

The Post followed up its initial report with another on Thursday, alleging that — again, based on emails the outlet says came from the laptop — that Hunter Biden was involved in negotiating a lucrative deal with a Chinese energy conglomerate, CEFC China Energy Co., that has since declared bankruptcy.

One email chain involving Hunter Biden was exchanged on Aug. 2, 2017, involving Ye Jianming, the since-vanished chairman of CEFC, “for half-ownership of a holding company that was expected to provide Biden with more than $10 million a year,” the Post reported.

Shortly after the Post’s story was published, Facebook policy communication manager Andy Stone, a former Democratic Party operative, announced the platform would reduce distribution of the article until it could be “fact checked.”

“While I will intentionally not link to the New York Post, I want be clear that this story is eligible to be fact checked by Facebook’s third-party fact checking partners. In the meantime, we are reducing its distribution on our platform,” he wrote on Twitter, claiming it was part of the social media giant’s standard policy to ‘reduce the spread of misinformation.'”

Twitter also took action, blocking the accounts of Republicans who shared the story. They include White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany and even the Trump campaign, as well as the New York Post itself.

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey would go on to say that his platform’s actions blocking the initial Post story were “not great,” but he was dragged online for being perceived as not actually offering an apology.

Powered by Topple

Jon Dougherty

Comments

Latest Articles