Megyn Kelly, who saw her NBC show canceled last year, has teamed up with two former Fox News colleagues in sending a letter to the Comcast Board of Directors and CEO Brian Roberts calling for a new investigation into alleged sexual misconduct.
Comcast is the owner of NBCUniversal, and Kelly cosigned the letter along with Greta Van Susteren, Gretchen Carlson, and Linda Vester, all former Fox News employees — Eleanor McManus and Addie Zinone, producers with CNN and NBC, respectively, also signed the communique.
Carlson sued Roger Ailes for sexual harassment and he settled with Carlson for $20 million and resigned from his post — her actions resulted in others coming forward with similar stories.
The women cited the “fearless reporting” in Ronan Farrow’s explosive book “Catch and Kill,” to suggest “certain network executives have enabled a corporate culture of widespread sexual harassment and abuse, and are still trying to cover it up today.”
“As the parent company of NBC Universal, we appeal to you to overturn the network’s refusal on Thursday to conduct an independent investigation of sexual misconduct and coverups at NBC News,” the letter reads.
With former “Today” host Matt Lauer recently being accused of rape, the names of several executives were included in the letter, based on allegations in Farrow’s book: NBC News Chairman Andy Lack, MSNBC President Phil Griffin, and NBC News President Noah Oppenheim.
The letter is calling on Comcast to do three things immediately:
1) Override NBC’s decision and launch a full investigation of sexual misconduct within the news division, to be conducted by an outside, independent law firm. The inquiry should determine which executives knew about the misconduct and covered it up. The final report should be sent directly to Mr. Roberts and the Board of Directors.
2) Make NBC declare that all current and former employees may seek waivers from their non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) in any sexual misconduct cases so that they can speak freely and publicly.
3) Have an in-person meeting of Comcast executives, directors, sexual harassment victims and advocacy leaders.
In what was her first televised appearance in almost a year, Kelly appeared on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” on Wednesday, drawing well over 4 million viewers, according to Nielson.
On the show, Kelly called on her former employer, NBC News, to hire an outside firm to investigate sexual misconduct allegations.
NBC spokesperson Hilary Smith said Thursday the network will not open a new investigation.
“There is no additional investigation being launched. We are very confident in the report that was conducted,” Smith told The Hollywood Reporter.
“We fired Matt Lauer within 24 hours of learning what he did, and promptly launched a corporate investigation,” Smith said. “Based on our investigative findings, we have swiftly taken appropriate actions to address the situation and improve workplace culture. It is also worth noting that this was a corporate investigation that was conducted by an almost entirely female team, none of whom are part of the News division.”
Late Thursday, Kelly took to social media to again call out NBC for not bringing in outside investigators — a point she made on “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”
She also called on NBC to release Lauer accusers from non-disclosure agreements.
The full letter can be seen here:
— Silence Breakers Alliance (@asilencebreak) October 18, 2019
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.