President Donald Trump approved the deployment of U.S. troops to Saudi Arabia following last week’s drone attacks on two oil facilities. It’s unclear how many American soldiers will be sent.
Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility for the oil-site attacks. However, both Saudi Arabia and the United States say their intelligence indicates that Iran is to blame.
Defense Secretary Mark Esper underscored that the United States does not want a war with Iran, but is sending the military backup for defensive purposes.
“The President has approved the deployment of U.S. forces which will be defensive in nature and primarily focused on air and missile defense,” Esper said at a press conference yesterday (Sept. 20).
Esper continued: “As the President has made clear, the United States does not seek conflict with Iran. That said, we have many other military options available should they be necessary.”
Iran and Saudi Arabia have been fighting a proxy war in Yemen for years. In fact, the conflict between Iran and SA has been going on for the past 40 years. They’re basically tribal wars over religious and political dominance, and there’s no end in sight for the bloody conflict.
On Friday, President Trump rolled out the “highest level” economic sanctions against Iran designed to further crush its flailing economy.
Leftists in favor of war have tried to goad Trump into immediately launching military strikes on Iran. But Trump said restraint is the hallmark of actual strength.
“I think the strong-person approach — the thing that does show strength — would be showing a little bit of restraint,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office.
Meanwhile, the leader of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard bragged that it will crush any country that acts aggressively against it.
“Be careful,” Major-Gen Hossein Salami said on Iranian state television. “We want punishment and we will continue until the full destruction of any aggressor.”
Iran feels a false sense of confidence in trash-talking the United States because it has been secretly building up its weapons stockpile, thanks to the disastrous Iran Nuclear Deal signed under Barack Obama.
Under the Iran Nuclear Deal pushed by Obama, Iran — the largest state sponsor of terrorism in the world — promised never to acquire nuclear weapons. But there have been multiple indications that Iran has not been holding up its end of the bargain.
In the lopsided agreement, Obama lifted economic sanctions that had crippled Iran financially for decades, unfroze $150 billion in assets, and gave Iran $400 million in cash.
President Trump has repeatedly slammed the deal, calling it dangerous and stupid.
“It was the single worst deal ever,” Trump said in 2017. “It’s a disgrace that a deal like that was even signed. It made Iran a power from a country that was ready to fall apart.”
Barry Pavel was a senior director on Obama’s National Security Council from 2008 to 2010.
Pavel said America’s enemies knew that Obama “had the capability, but not the will” to stand up to our enemies, so they did whatever they felt like:
“They felt free to conduct their coercive actions in the South China Seas, the Russians went into Iran and Syria, and North Korea accelerated their nuclear arms program.”
Under Obama’s watch, ISIS spread to more than 18 countries around the world. “I think [Obama] left a more dangerous world,” Pavel said.
Remember this warning from President Trump?
- DOJ attorney in charge of election-crimes unit quits after AG Barr opens investigation - November 10, 2020
- ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa’: Neil Cavuto slammed after he cuts off Kayleigh McEnany presser - November 10, 2020
- Same media that cheered Stacey Abrams, Al Gore for refusing to concede attack Trump for same move - November 8, 2020