Border Patrol official calls out Dems: Haven’t seen any of them down here. They have an open invite.

The National Border Patrol Council’s vice president condemned Democrats who are all talk and no action when it comes to the U.S.-Mexico border.

Art del Cueto extended an “open invitation” to Democrats who continue to doubt and mock President Donald Trump’s warnings about the national emergency at the southern border, saying he’d be happy to “show them” personally during an interview on “America’s Newsroom” on Fox News Tuesday.

Texas Democrats like Rep. Henry Cueller and Rep. Filemon Vela Jr. as well as others, including 2020 presidential candidate Julian Castro, have openly criticized the immigration policies of the Trump administration, notably after the president’s recent threat to close the U.S.-Mexico border. Castro simply called the policies “downright stupid” while Vela called Trump’s plan to shut down the border “moronic.”

But del Cueto wants to see more than just empty words from these and other Democrats.

“I haven’t seen any of them down here working with us, I haven’t seen any of them down here asking to speak to any of us,” he told Fox News host Sandra Smith.

“I have an open invitation. They can come down and I’ll show them the issues [and] what’s happening at the border,” he said.

“We are getting overrun. Our facilities are over capacity,” del Cueto added, explaining the lack of resources and even personnel as many Border Patrol agents are being used to perform “babysitting duties” as they deal with the surge of migrants attempting to enter the U.S.

“We are definitely at a crisis and it’s an emergency,” del Cueto said. “In the end, something needs to be done about the overflow of these individuals that are coming into the country.”

He also called on other countries to “step up to the plate” if they are part of facilitating the influx of people attempting to cross.

“If there’s other countries that are facilitating this invasion, they need to step up to the plate and start doing something about it,” del Cueto said, explaining that he supports whatever decision Trump makes, including shutting down the southern border.

Trump threatened last week to shut down the border if Mexico did not immediately stop the flow of illegal immigration into the United States.

 

And Mexican officials have sounded the alarm over the forming of another potential caravan of people from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Venezuela, which they believe could reach about 20,000 in number. Trump’s renewed threat to shut down the southern border came as U.S. Customs and Border Protection reported that March was on track to become “the highest month” for border apprehensions in over a decade.

“At this point, when you have a country that’s facilitating these individuals to come through, what else do you have as an option?” del Cueto asked, responding to the president’s plan to shut the border and condemning critics who “use their verbiage to slam the president.”

“But in the end, they’re not down here,” he said.

“They haven’t even bothered to come and speak to the agents and the boots on the ground and ask what it is we need, what is it that they need out there,” he said, adding that, although it may be “an extreme measure” it is also “one of the best options.”

. “We’re seriously overrun.”

Powered by Topple

Frieda Powers

Comments

Latest Articles