Defense Dept. apologizes, deletes New Year’s tweet about dropping something much bigger than Time Square ball after people freak out

(Image: screenshot)

A tweet by a Defense Department agency that seemed to be about dropping bombs simultaneously sparked outrage and applause for the military on New Year’s Eve.

A CNN panel on “The Situation Room” Monday discussed the tweet by U.S. Strategic Command, which was soon deleted, and condemned it as something that “defies belief.”

In its New Year’s Eve message, Strategic Command appeared to be joking about the strength of the American military in a tweet referring to the Times Square celebration in New York City at midnight with the annual ball drop.

(Image: screenshot Twitter via NBC News)

“If ever needed, we are #ready to drop something much, much bigger,” the account tweeted.

Encouraging viewers to “watch to the end!” the tweet was accompanied by a video of stealth jets dropping two bombs, followed by explosions – all while the words “stealth, ready, and lethal” flashed across the screen.

Some Twitter users seemed shocked by the tweet.

A short time later, Strategic Command deleted the tweet and offered an apology.

“This post, which has since been deleted, was part of our Year in Review series meant to feature our command priorities: strategic deterrence, decisive response and combat-ready force. It was a repost from earlier in the year, dropping a pair of conventional Massive Ordnance Penetrators (MOP) at a test range in the United States,” a spokesman told NBC News.

A CNN panel weighed in later on Monday, with Evan Perez declaring, “this sums up 2018 so perfectly.”

National security analyst Phil Mudd was much more fired up, and interjected with his “serious perspective.”

“Before anybody tries to make light of this, let me offer a serious perspective on this,” he said. “These decisions about whether to put American forces at risk, and whether to kill somebody overseas, involve potentially the death of a child.”

“Maybe don’t joke about it,” he added. “That could be a new year’s resolution.”

“It’s the casual nature of something that’s so serious. And it isn’t funny, Phil, you’re right, but it’s almost — it defies belief,” CNN anchor Brianna Keilar said.

The panel speculated on who decided to send out the tweet, stopping just barely shy of blaming President Donald Trump personally.

“It is something that this strategic command should not be sending out messages so casually, joking about bombs,” Perez said.

“Do you think in another administration,” Keilar asked, “that would be sent out or do you think it is taking the lead from the president?”

“You know, you shouldn’t have to tell those folks, think before you tweet,” the Daily Beast’s Jackie Kucinich replied.

“But, you know, the president doesn’t follow that and clearly, clearly someone, someone, some adult decided that maybe it wasn’t good to put something that — forgive the pun — incendiary on the Internet, with allies, adversaries on New Year’s Eve looking on.”

“You know, I’m still trying to get over the Strategic Air Command tweeting at all,” joked senior editor of The Atlantic, Ron Brownstein.

But despite all the chatter and the left’s outrage, many Twitter users turned the debate, slamming the snowflakes and defending America’s military.

Powered by Topple

Frieda Powers

Comments

Latest Articles