Politics has got Democrats stressed out.
A new poll revealed that the nation’s current political climate ahead of critical midterm elections has Democrats “eating their feelings” and drinking more heavily than Republicans.
Commissioned by the fitness site Daily Burn, a poll conducted by YouGov shows Democrats are 50 percent more likely than Republicans to be stress-eating, drinking and over-exercising, NBC News reported.
“Depending on how you’re used to dealing with stress, people tend to gravitate toward that habit more,” primary care physician, Dr. Navya Mysore, told NBC News. “If you had a hard day, you’ll have a glass of wine, so maybe you’re doing that more. Same for people who are stress eaters — they’ll eat more. If you’re more prone to sweat it out when stressed, then you’ll do that more.”
According to the poll of 2,485 respondents age 18 and up conducted from Oct. 18-22:
- Over half of Democrats (55%), along with 45% of Republicans and 44% of Independents, fess up that the political climate has influenced their exercise regime.
- Democrats are over 40% more likely than Republicans to say that they’re exercising more.
- Independents (21%) are less likely than either Democrats (29%) or Republicans (28%) to say the political climate has specifically led to them exercising less.
Democrats are drinking more, according to the poll, “at a 2-to-1 ratio over their counterparts in the GOP.”
Psychotherapist Allison Abrams recommended limiting exposure to news on a daily basis as a way to curb the negative emotions that are triggered.
“This doesn’t mean not stay informed, rather, be informed but set boundaries for yourself,” she told NBC News.
The poll results kicked off a wave of reaction on Twitter where the effect of the “midterm munchies” on Democrats made a great target of mockery.
This is bad. We needs Dems to stay healthy so they can group-up and become Republicans. https://t.co/WBWJMCgm5c
— Boofieleaks (@notwokieleaks) November 1, 2018
This is the best news story of the day. Trumps making people fat now. Is there nothing this man can’t do. This should be a new chapter in the bible.
— The Real Gong Dave (@therealgongdave) November 1, 2018
Eating their feelings because the facts are too hard for them to swallow
— Patriot26 (@Patriot261) November 1, 2018
— HRVaughn? (@RHeathervaughn) November 1, 2018
STAY OUT OF MY BUSINESS, MSNBC!
— AmyG (@amyegreenfield) November 2, 2018
I’ve put on 30lbs since November 2016.
I call it my “trump bump”.
— Spry Guy (@SpryGuy) November 1, 2018
It will be interesting to watch them eat crow….. after the midterms
— Greg Rebman (@grebman) November 1, 2018
Maybe we should make them walk to midterms.
— ?StoopidLiberals (@StoopidLiberals) November 1, 2018
Great. Democrats are going to eat all the food in the next 6 years of Trump.
— Gina Haspell (@GHaspell) November 2, 2018
We’re stressed, ok https://t.co/mVxRSkDdCD
— Blake Maroney (@the_blakenator) November 2, 2018
Latest posts by Frieda Powers (see all)
- Black activist takes on Minn city council member for demolishing police: ‘Utopia is a bunch of BS’ - July 9, 2020
- Houston mayor cancels planned and safeguarded GOP convention, but attended unfettered protests with thousands - July 9, 2020
- James Carville thinks Biden will ‘trounce’ Trump in debate. Kirstie Alley sees it quite differently. - July 9, 2020