Property owners along the U.S.-Mexico border say they have received requests from the federal government to survey their land for construction of the border wall.
Letters from the Army Corps of Engineers and U.S. Customs and Border Protection asked residents in the South Texas town of Escobares for the permission to review their land, KENS-TV reported.
But some border residents feel they may not get fair offers for their land or the construction could break up pieces of property like that of a local school.
The town’s Mayor Noel Escobar was among those not thrilled with the idea after receiving one of the letters.
“I walk out the back door and what I’m going to see is a 30-foot fence,” Escobar said.
CBP told the region’s congressman, Democrat Henry Cuellar, that there have been over 200 of these requests made in Starr and Hidalgo counties. He warned that anyone concerned about a government land grab should not sign anything without asking questions.
The Rio Grande City School District also received a request back in May, according to board president, Daniel Garcia, who also received a map highlighting about a mile of land under consideration by the government for “tactical infrastructure, such as a border wall.”
“When we voted for it, it was not for any specific reason. They just wanted to come in and survey the property,” Garcia said, adding that the land is not currently being used by the district.
But if he had known it could be used for the border wall, Garcia said he would have voted against allowing the survey.
A government employee surveying the land of Felix Rodriguez earlier this year offered the Roma resident $300 for part of his 500-square-foot property even though he wanted at least $1,500, KENS reported.
“There’s no use for me to sell the land if I’m not going to get much from it,” Rodriguez said in Spanish about the portion of land that is an overgrown weedy lot leading to the river.
Gunshots from across the border are often heard by the 81-year-old and others who live along the Rio Grande River in Starr County, according to KENS-TV.
Does the hatred of the far left know no bounds? This is truly sick.
St Jude family, attacked after thanking Eric Trump for $16 mil in donations. Now, they're fighting back. https://t.co/RkL5tYQAwS
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) July 8, 2018
- Family denied food for not having vax card; raw and powerful footage …THIS is how to fight back - September 16, 2021
- Biden jumps on FDA approval: ‘Today, I am calling on private sector to impose vaccine mandates’ - August 23, 2021
- Next time your server asks to see a vaccine card, here’s what to do … - August 20, 2021