Trump orders flags lowered to honor Capital Gazette shooting victims. Sarah Sanders answers doubters.

CBS News White House correspondent Mark Knoller reported Tuesday morning via Twitter that President Donald Trump has order U.S. flags to be flown at half-staff to honor the victims of last week’s Capital Gazette shooting.

“Pres Trump to issue proclamation shortly ordering flags to half-staff to honor Capital Gazette staffers killed last week,” Knoller tweeted. “Annapolis Mayor says his initial request to the WH for flags to be lowered was declined.”

As Knoller noted, the order comes one day after it was reported that Trump denied a request from the mayor of Annapolis, Maryland, to order U.S. flags be flown at half-staff.

Mayor Gavin Buckley told the Gazette that he was “disappointed.”

“Is there a cutoff for tragedy?” he asked. “This was an attack on the press. It was an attack on freedom of speech. It’s just as important as any other tragedy.”

Naturally, the media ran with the narrative that the president “reversed course.”

CNN’s White House reporter Kaitlan Collins tweeted a proclamation of the order a short time later.

She tweeted that White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said President Trump made the decision after he heard of the Annapolis mayor’s request, which appears to contradict the idea that he personally denied the initial request.

Powered by Topple

Tom Tillison

Comments

Latest Articles