Comedian Michelle Wolf’s routine at the 2018 White House Correspondents Dinner was not only panned by attendees and critics, the organization itself announced her performance was “not in the spirit” of its mission.
The White House Correspondents’ Association responded to complaints from members that Wolf’s disrespectful, sexist and simply unfunny routine did not reflect the organization’s mission to promote journalism and the First Amendment, The Hill reported.
“Last night’s program was meant to offer a unifying message about our common commitment to a vigorous and free press while honoring civility, great reporting and scholarship winners, not to divide people,” WHCA President Margaret Talev said in a statement Sunday.
“Unfortunately, the entertainer’s monologue was not in the spirit of that mission,” she said.
Olivier Knox, who will take over as WHCA president this summer, will join Talev in rethinking the event and, according to Talev, are open to suggestions.
#WHCA Statement to Members on Annual Dinner pic.twitter.com/8DKoHNxpNi
— WHCA (@whca) April 30, 2018
Wolf’s 20-minute set at the annual gala was focused on bashing President Donald Trump and his top officials, including White House press secretary Sarah Sanders, who was mocked by Wolf earlier this month when she decided to attend the Dinner.
Sarah Sanders gets mocked about prom. Waiting for defenders of women on the left. Still waiting … https://t.co/3dCPe9WVxg pic.twitter.com/hqNdJfn9Jh
— Conservative News (@BIZPACReview) April 8, 2018
And while Trump was not in attendance Saturday, Sanders was – and endured the insults of the so-called comedian who referred to her at one point as an “Uncle Tom” for white women. Even liberals found Wolf’s attacks uncalled for and praised Sanders for her professionalism and dignity in not walking out of the event.
Former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci was disgusted with the performance and called the insults to Sanders an “atrocity,” while Kellyanne Conway was proud of Sanders‘ enduring the attacks as the president’s spokesperson.
No apologies were forthcoming from Wolf who, instead, defended herself on Twitter with more rants about what she did and didn’t say or mean.
Trump, who was miles away from the event at a rally in Michigan, slammed Wolf’s routine and suggested a change for next year’s event.
While Washington, Michigan, was a big success, Washington, D.C., just didn’t work. Everyone is talking about the fact that the White House Correspondents Dinner was a very big, boring bust…the so-called comedian really “bombed.” @greggutfeld should host next year! @PeteHegseth
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 29, 2018
“The White House Correspondents Dinner was a very big, boring bust…the so-called comedian really “bombed,” the president tweeted, suggesting Fox News’ Greg Gutfeld should be next year’s host.
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- Minnesota Dems promote bills to ban gas-powered lawnmowers, chainsaws - February 18, 2023
- KJP shows off her contempt for Trump with unnecessary jab during comms director’s sendoff - February 11, 2023
- DOJ ramps up a ‘mere review’ to full-fledged investigation after latest Biden doc discovery - January 12, 2023
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.