Naked Waffle House shooter arrested by Secret Service trying to get to Trump, used seized weapons for new crime

Amid the news Sunday of a shooting at a Nashville Waffle House that claimed the lives of four people, a growing trend in America — aside from the left seizing on the tragedy to push a gun control agenda — is that the shooter was no stranger to law enforcement and the F.B.I.

Had it not been for a real hero who didn’t hesitate to disarm the suspected gunman, Travis Reinking, when he had the chance, there would surely have been more people killed Sunday.

Reinking, the man naked from the waist down who is suspected of opening fire in the eatery, was arrested in July 2017 by the Secret Service after entering a restricted area near the White House, CNN reported.

The arrest came after he showed up at the White House and demanded to speak with President Donald Trump, according to the network. Reinking was told he would have to get a tour to do that and instructed to leave, but persisted in speaking with Trump. He told the officer that as a “sovereign citizen,” he had a right to inspect the grounds.

Told again to leave, Reinking responded by removing his tie and walking through the security barriers, arrest records show.

“Do what you need to do. Arrest me if you have to,” Reinking said, according to the report.

Reinking entered into a deferred prosecution agreement with community service after the arrest and the case was dismissed in November after the court determined he had successfully completed the program, according to CNN.

He was also interviewed by the FBI in Illinois, where he lived at the time.

The Tazewell County Sheriff’s Office seized four weapons afterwards, as Reinking’s firearm authorization had been revoked — the AR-15 rifle used in Sunday’s shooting was among those weapons, according to the Metropolitan Nashville Police.

The other firearms included a Kimber 9 mm handgun, a CZ-USA .22-caliber rifle and a Remington 710.

Reinking regained possession of the rifle after police turned them over to his father, Jeffrey Reinking, who was told to not give them back to his son. Police say the elder Reinking failed to adhere to this instruction.

The 29-year-old man is still at large and police say one of the four firearms remains unaccounted for.

The reaction online to the latest developments shows that while social media users are shocked that the father would return the firearms to Reinking. But they’re not as surprised that the FBI knew of the suspected gunman.

Here’s a sampling of reactions from Twitter:

https://twitter.com/joeyyeo13/status/988204165770940422

https://twitter.com/pamihami/status/988107973418512386

Tom Tillison

Comments

Latest Articles