Newsweek slammed first lady Melania Trump and first daughter Ivanka Trump for wearing high heels, claiming it’s a symbol of female oppression by the Trump administration.
In her condescending, sexist screed, militant feminist Nina Burleigh insists Melania and Ivanka never wear flat shoes in public because they’re oppressed Trumpian fembots. Oh really??
And what is Newsweek’s evidence for that claim? Because — like millions of women around the world — Melania and Ivanka sometimes wear heels when they go out in public.
In her article entitled “Melania, Ivanka and Ivana Trump Wear High Heels, a Symbol of Everything That Is Beautiful and Horrifying About Them,” Newsweek writer Burleigh bleats:
This hiatus allows us to reflect on a minor Trumpian trend to which the nation has become accustomed since January: the ubiquitous stiletto pump. The vertiginous spike-heel shoe is not currently in fashion, but for Ivana, Ivanka, Melania and the Trump daughters-in-law, Carrie Bradshaw’s shoe of choice never went out of style.
In fact, the female consorts of the Leader of the Free World do not set foot in public without first molding their arches into the supranatural curve that Mattel toy designers once devised for Barbie’s plastic feet.
Six months in, and the Trump women are well on their way to normalizing the footwear of the beauty pageant.
The writer then bloviates about how heels represent female oppression. Meanwhile, Nina Burleigh has been seen in public wearing go-go boots, makeup, a dress, and ornamental jewelry. So she must feel really oppressed!
There are so many laughable flaws in Burleigh’s piece you don’t know where to begin:
- It’s false that Melania and Ivanka have never gone out in public in flat shoes. There are plenty of photos of both wearing flats. In February, Melania entertained Akie Abe, wife of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. Melania wore flat shoes the whole day.
- The stiletto pump has never gone out of fashion. And the trend is not “Trumpian,” as Newsweek claims. It did not start with Melania and Ivanka, and it certainly won’t end with them. I’m not saying it’s a good trend; just that the Trump ladies have nothing to do with it.
- If Newsweek really wants to combat anti-women fashion, why don’t they condemn the hijab or the burka? These compulsory Muslim clothing items are true symbols of female oppression.
- Where was Newsweek’s outrage when Michelle Obama wore high heels during her 8 years as first lady?
Oh my f-ing god, I didn’t even google “Michelle Obama wearing high heels,” I just googled “MICHELLE OBAMA SHOES”!!! pic.twitter.com/FoN2U5ze3A
— relates (@relates) August 11, 2017
Where was this sexist diatribe for the last 8 years when Michelle Obama was wearing high heels? pic.twitter.com/oD1y0DoShg
— Charles Signorile (@CharlieSigs) August 11, 2017
Meanwhile, this is how most readers reacted to Newsweek’s idiotic anti-Trump puff piece.
This is not the first time liberal media have attacked the Trump women’s appearance.
In July, MSNBC contributor Joan Walsh was slammed after saying Ivanka does not support women because she’s pretty and has the audacity to wear “girly” pink dresses with bows. The horror!
Ivanka's 'girly' dress makes her look like property, MSNBC's Joan Walsh really just went there https://t.co/Tz0CaLSdaF
— Bo Snerdley (@BoSnerdley) July 12, 2017
That inane bit of hypocritical faux-feminism spawned hilarious Twitter feedback:
— Stephanie Hamill (@STEPHMHAMILL) July 11, 2017
— Chet Cannon (@Chet_Cannon) July 13, 2017
Some conservatives say liberals won’t be happy until conservative women look as manly and unattractive as many Dems do.
Check out how MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow changed the more far-left she got:
This explains so much about the self-loathing nature of the left. pic.twitter.com/DORDAQLqqD
— Chris Rivera (@capitalistpeeg) August 11, 2017
Left means they left any joy or humor somewhere, and forgot what makes life worthwhile.
— Philip Wildman (@barben2) August 11, 2017
b b b b b Ashley wears high heels!!
life is so unfair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/0z21S1ZHdW
— Achmella (@mauser98k2) August 11, 2017
your stupidity ,ignorance, bigotry & hate only outweighed by your racism pic.twitter.com/06WHF7OuZm
— Achmella (@mauser98k2) August 11, 2017
If the anti-Trump media wants to trash Melania or Ivanka, they should start by not making fake-news claims that are easily dismantled. It would also be nice if they stopped attacking the Trump ladies because they’re beautiful, smart, and stylish. Jealousy is not a good look on anyone.
Meanwhile, here’s a small sampling of photos showing Melania Trump and Ivanka wearing flat shoes at various public outings.
— Footwear News (@FootwearNews) June 17, 2017
— Ivanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) November 9, 2016
First Lady Melania Trump read a children’s story – and wore pink flats (the White House lawn was starting to get muddy). pic.twitter.com/YTwaFXeKXp
— Tara McKelvey (@Tara_Mckelvey) April 17, 2017
Craziest part of my day? Melania Trump wearing flats. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? pic.twitter.com/IpVJZ8Q6fL
— Kate Bennett (@KateBennett_DC) February 4, 2017
?MELANIA TRUMP WEARING FLATS? pic.twitter.com/6BsA6ZVY4g
— Kate Bennett (@KateBennett_DC) April 17, 2017
— Ivanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) February 26, 2017
Latest posts by Samantha Chang (see all)
- NFL all in with toxic identity politics, will play separate ‘black national anthem’ before Week 1 games - July 3, 2020
- Leftists demand Queen Elizabeth remove medal showing ‘racist image’ of St. Michael stomping on Satan’s head - July 2, 2020
- Harvard grad who threatened to stab those who say ‘all lives matter’ weeps after she’s canned from dream job - July 2, 2020