Special counsel Robert Mueller should recuse and resign immediately because his close friendship with key witness James Comey triggers a massive conflict of interest that automatically disqualifies him.
That’s what Fox News anchor Sean Hannity—and a growing chorus of legal experts—say.
“Robert Mueller, this guy has more conflicts of interest than we can count on this show, which are also violations of federal law,” Hannity said. “Mueller and Comey have been close friends for a long time. Comey admitted he leaked the memo to the New York Times, hoping it would bring about a special counsel which, by the way, turned out to be his best buddy Robert Mueller.”
Hannity also pointed out that 3 out of 5 attorneys on Mueller’s team made huge political donations exclusively to Democrats. Two of those three maxed out in donations to Hillary Clinton‘s failed 2016 presidential campaign. So how can they possibly be objective when investigating Trump, whom all Democrats despise right now?
Hannity was reacting to a new Washington Post report claiming President Trump is being investigated for obstruction of justice stemming from his firing of James Comey, an Obama appointee. Five anonymous sources from the FBI leaked this top-secret information to the Washington Post—a violation of federal law and FBI code of ethics.
Hannity said the media are backing off the Russia collusion narrative because it failed to gain any traction due to lack of evidence. Last week, Comey testified there is NO EVIDENCE of collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign despite 10 months of FBI investigations.
So now, the anti-Trump “deep state” forces in the leftist media and Obama holdovers in the government are trying a new tactic, which is to target Trump for obstruction of justice.
Hannity said federal crimes have been committed, but not by Trump. He said the real criminals are the FBI leakers and this motley crew of corrupt politicians:
- Hillary Clinton, who mishandled classified government intel with her use of a private, unsecured email server.
- Former US Attorney General Loretta Lynch, who ordered her subordinate—former FBI director James Comey—to refer to Hillary’s criminal investigation as a “matter” and not as an “investigation.”
- Lynch for her secret tarmac meeting with Bill Clinton. Several days later, the DOJ abruptly dropped its case against Hillary.
- Comey for unlawfully leaking his memos to the New York Times.
- Deputy US Attorney Rod Rosenstein, under whose watch FBI officials have repeatedly leaked top-secret information to the press, including the June 15 Washington Post report claiming Mueller is investigating Trump for obstruction of justice.
Sean Hannity said like all the other discredited attacks against President Trump, the obstruction narrative will fail miserably because there’s no evidence. “It’s only a matter of time before this, too, gets debunked [like all the other fake news reports],” he said.
For now, Mueller and Rosenstein should recuse themselves from their investigation because they failed to do their jobs objectively and competently. “Mueller and Rod Rosenstein? Recuse themselves, resign immediately,” Hannity said.
On Thursday afternoon, President Trump weighed in on the manufactured controversies:
- DOJ attorney in charge of election-crimes unit quits after AG Barr opens investigation - November 10, 2020
- ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa’: Neil Cavuto slammed after he cuts off Kayleigh McEnany presser - November 10, 2020
- Same media that cheered Stacey Abrams, Al Gore for refusing to concede attack Trump for same move - November 8, 2020