Predicting a bomb … Michael Moore is taking his Trump hate to Broadway this summer

Michael Moore is taking his anti-Trump bashing to Broadway.

The liberal filmmaker announced Monday that he will be starring in a one-man Broadway show focused on the president and aimed at taking him down, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“I’m in a ‘take no prisoners’ mode,” Moore said at a press conference Monday at Sardi’s. “We’ve seen newspapers take down presidents, TV shows bring down CEOs, books have taken down the powerful — art forms have contributed to making things better. … Why don’t we see if every night — and twice in the afternoon for 12 weeks — if a piece of theater could raise enough of a ruckus to discombobulate a man sitting in the Oval Office? I don’t know, but I’d like to find out. Hey, stranger things have happened in the last year.”

The show, titled, “The Terms of My Surrender” with the tagline, “Can a Broadway show take down a sitting President?” will be topical and unscripted, featuring surprise guest stars.

President Trump is shaking in his boots, no doubt.

“I operate with the hope that he won’t be president for very long,” Moore said. “This is a limited 12-week run, I guess I would like Trump to have the same thing.”

The show will mark the New York stage debut for the Tony-winning director who has Trump to thank for his current political relevance. The documentary filmmaker has vocally criticized the president at every opportunity and used every medium at his disposal.

“It’s not like anything I think you’ve really seen. I think there will be a subversive yet urgent tone and sense to this. People will be very surprised in a good way,” Moore said, explaining that the presidential box at the 1,018-seat Belasco Theatre will be reserved each night for Trump and his family.

Moore insisted he would have done a topical show regardless of the outcome of the 2016 election.

“For years, I’ve thought about doing something like this,” he told the Hollywood Reporter.” Even if Hillary were president, the polar icecaps are still melting, we still don’t have universal healthcare, there’s still way too much talk about solving our problems through war. So this is not just about Trump; it’s landing in the time of Trump.”

Tony Award-winner Michael Mayer is set to direct the limited engagement show that will run for 12 weeks at New York City’s Belasco Theatre starting July 28. The 90-minute performances could also spill outside of the theater, which happens to be a short walk from Trump Tower.

“I’m not just gonna stand there for 90 minutes and say, “Donald Trump is horrible!” This is a very refined piece of satire,” Moore said.

“Don’t you believe after this last year that literally anything can happen? That used to be a cliche, but we now know anything can happen,” he told The Hollywood Reporter. “He could resign next week.”

“I have a good amount of humility in me, but if he does resign before or during the run of the show, count on it, I will take some of the credit,” Moore added. “I’m just saying it now.”

Twitter users were confident Moore’s new project will quickly go the way of his past endeavors.

Wake up right! Receive our free morning news blast HERE

Powered by Topple

Frieda Powers

Comments

Latest Articles