Weather Channel meteorologist has a scary close call as Hurricane Laura slams into Louisiana

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE.

The Weather Channel’s Stephanie Abrams assured colleagues and viewers that she and her crew were not hurt after an unnerving close call was caught on camera.

The veteran Weather Channel meteorologist narrowly missed getting hit by debris as she was reporting live from Golden Nugget Hotel and Casino as Hurricane Laura came ashore in Louisiana. Abrams caused concern among viewers as she reported on wind gusts of 100-plus mph, and miraculously averted being struck by the falling debris as the Category 4 storm barreled into the Gulf Coast.

“We want to make good TV for you guys but we also want to be safe… we want to bring you the shot, but we want to do it safely,” Abrams said as she carefully worked her way down a few steps as the camera rolled.

A few seconds later, she was almost struck by crashing debris which prompted a loud “whoa!” off-camera as Abrams scrambled back up to safety.

“We’re fine, everyone we are fine. We are totally fine, everything is okay,” she said, out of camera view.

“So that’s why we didn’t want to stand far down on the stairs,” she added. “Everyone is 100 percent okay.”

Shortly before Abrams’ close call, her colleague Jim Cantore took an extra precaution by stepping aside to grab a helmet just as he tossed the report over to her.

“I really don’t feel like getting whaled on in the head, so I’m just going to put a helmet on out here since I’m standing out here,” Cantore said.

The Weather Channel provided a dramatic montage of the reporting as the dangerous storm made landfall early Thursday near the Louisiana-Texas border. The storm weakened once onshore as it moved north, leaving a path of destruction in its wake.

Reports emerged Thursday of a hurricane-related fatality as well as more than half a million without power in Texas and Louisiana.

Abrams was praised for her dramatic reporting and the ability to even stay standing as the storm intensified.

Abrams and her crew eventually moved inside the building lobby where she continued reporting. But her earlier reports bracing against the pummeling rain and wind in Lake Charles, where a wind gust of 128 mph was reported at the airport just before 1:30 a.m., alarmed many viewers who took to social media to express their concerns.

The Weather Channel responded to the worried tweets with a thanks to all the viewers and reassurance that the safety of their crews is always a priority.



Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!

Success! Thank you for donating. Please share BPR content to help combat the lies.
Frieda Powers


We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

PLEASE JOIN OUR NEW COMMENT SYSTEM! We love hearing from our readers and invite you to join us for feedback and great conversation. If you've commented with us before, we'll need you to re-input your email address for this. The public will not see it and we do not share it.

Latest Articles