The Dominican Republic native with a violent history scored two get-out-of-jail-free cards this year, including one that put him on the streets the morning he allegedly bludgeoned five migrants, sending four to their graves.
Rodriguez “Randy” Santos, 24, was charged for bashing their heads in with a large metal pipe as the homeless men slept. The Chinatown homeless massacre was able to occur because a nonprofit group posted bail for Santos while he was in jail for allegedly groping a young woman, according to the New York Post.
The paper said that Santos was arrested on March 8 on charges of forcible touching and third-degree sexual abuse after an incident at a Queens homeless shelter. Court papers show that a 19-year-old female employee told police Santos grabbed her rear end while she was letting him into his room.
Santos skipped a scheduled court appearance and the judge forfeited the bail money and issued a warrant for his arrest on Sept. 16, just under three weeks before he killed four people.
The Bronx Freedom Fund bailed out Santos – who is a lawful permanent resident – on Aug. 12, after he spent three weeks in jail, the newspaper reported.
More on the liberal social justice group from the Post:
Founded in 2007, the Bronx Freedom Fund provides bail of up to $2,000 for defendants charged with misdemeanors to help them “avoid the dire consequences of pretrial detention,” according to its most recent IRS filing.
It receives 100% of its funding from unspecified “private donations and foundations” and had just over $1 million on hand as of July 30, 2018, the tax-exempt group’s returns show.
The other get-out-of-jail-free card came courtesy of a Brooklyn judge who cut Santos a break on a potential year-long jail sentence after he defied a deal he cut on a turnstile-jumping charge, the Post reported.
Brooklyn Judge Hilary Gingold granted Santos a conditional discharge and released him without bail, but he violated the deal about two months later, the Post reported.
He was arrested after a warrant was issued and was jailed until June 15.
Violating the agreement could have resulted in Santos serving a year in jail, which is the maximum. But Judge Gingold cut him a break and let him go free. Once again, he failed to abide by the terms of the conditions set, which resulted in him being arrested in August.
Overall, the NYPD said Santos had been arrested 14 times. He has a history of violent, random attacks. In one such attack, he bit a man in the chest at a Manhattan store.
The case offers more evidence the Democratic Party’s progressive stance on criminal justice is ineffective. Mayor Bill de Blasio has been catching heat for a tepid response to the mass killing.
Social media users ripped the failed 2020 presidential candidate for “destroying our city.”
- Restaurant’s entire staff quits en masse, leaves note on door; management disputes claims - September 17, 2021
- Three Texas tourists arrested for allegedly attacking NYC hostess who asked for vaccine ID - September 17, 2021
- 80’s bombshell Heather Locklear to make TV comeback with new look - September 17, 2021