President Trump and Congress are playing a high-stakes game of “chicken” as disagreements over funding the border wall threatens a government shutdown.
Trump and his aides have doubled down on the need for Congress to pass a budget that includes funding for the U.S.-Mexico border wall. Meanwhile, Democrats say funding for the border wall is a deal breaker.
The deadline to pass a federal budget is Friday, April 28. If Democrats and Republicans cannot come to an agreement on the budget, the government faces a possible shutdown.
On Sunday, President Trump underscored the need for the border wall, saying it will stem the influx of illegal drugs and violent gangs pouring into the United States. Trump added that we need to get started on building the wall, and Mexico will pay for it later — one way or another.
Trump has repeatedly explained that he will build the wall initially using taxpayer money, which will then be reimbursed by Mexico.
Mexico will pay for the wall, or Trump will do the following, which would cripple the Mexican economy into submission:
- Cut foreign aid to Mexico. In 2013, the U.S. gave $420 million to Mexico. The US has since slashed the aid due to Mexico’s repeated human-rights violations.
- Slap a huge import tax on all goods coming into the US from Mexico.
- Tax remittance payments to Mexico. Many Mexicans who live in the US send money back to their relatives in Mexico to help them pay for living expenses. The U.S. could tax those money transfers.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions agreed. “We’re going to get it paid for one way or the other,” Sessions told ABC News. “I can’t imagine the Democrats would shut down the government over an objection to … a wall that can end lawlessness.”
Sessions said the government needs to stop illegal immigration and the violent crimes associated with it, such as human trafficking, illegal drug trafficking and the proliferation of murderous gangs.
“We need to create a lawful system of immigration where people apply to come here, and they wait their turn,” he said.
While Democrats are balking at the cost of a border wall, they ignore the fact that illegal immigration costs U.S. taxpayers a staggering $113 billion a year, according to FAIR (Federation for American Immigration Reform).
Studies also show that many illegals do not pay income taxes but do collect welfare (through their U.S.-born children), so they’re a massive drain on the economy. Maybe this type of taxpayer charity wouldn’t be such a big deal if the U.S. national debt were not approaching $20 trillion.
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- DOJ attorney in charge of election-crimes unit quits after AG Barr opens investigation - November 10, 2020
- ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa’: Neil Cavuto slammed after he cuts off Kayleigh McEnany presser - November 10, 2020
- Same media that cheered Stacey Abrams, Al Gore for refusing to concede attack Trump for same move - November 8, 2020
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.