(Video: Fox 2)
Michigan parents were understandably upset Thursday when they learned a student in their children’s kindergarten class had brought a premixed margarita to school to share at snack time.
The incident occurred at Grand River Academy in Livonia, MI in the western part of the Detroit Metro area that offers K-12 education. According to Fox 2 Detroit, the kindergartener, whose identity is being protected, had come to school with a ready-to-drink “Jose Cuervo Pink Lemonade Margarita.”
Mothers Dominque Zanders and Alexis Smith spoke with Fox 2 to recount what they had learned about their daughters who were some of the young children who had imbibed. Zanders explained how the unnamed girl poured the margarita in her daughter’s cup, “and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and [Zanders’ daughter] went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face.”
Zanders noted that when she arrived at the school after administrators had notified her of the incident, her daughter expressed, “she felt woozy, a little dizzy.”
Fox 2 reported that poison control had been contacted and that the five students who had had several sips of the mixed drink were to be provided with water and crackers. Smith wondered if the school was currently short-staffed allowing for something like this to have been overlooked.
To that point, a spokeswoman for Grand River Academy told Fox 2, “While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible. It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks.”
An official letter from the school later attempted to explain the prompt response from Grand River Academy officials as they informed kindergarten parents of the unfortunate event, writing, “This letter is to inform you of an incident that occurred in your child’s class today. A student brought a premixed alcoholic drink to school, which was shared with a few other students.”
“Upon learning of this, school leadership followed proper medical protocols and parents of the students involved were contacted immediately,” the letter went on.
“Disciplinary measures will be taken in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct,” it added, to which the letter directed parents to view the illegal substances policy of their Parent Student Handbook.
“Student privacy laws prevent me from sharing specific details. What I can share is that the safety and well-being of our school community remains a priority, which is why we immediately addressed the situation,” the letter explained before noting, “School leaders aim to ensure that all students are making safe and smart choices, and we actively encourage them to practice ‘hear something, see something, say something.'”
While there was no specific consensus as to who was truly at fault for what happened, Smith appeared to blame the kindergartner’s parents for not better explaining the drink was not for kids.
“If your child knows what it is,” as the report indicated the student did, “nothing wrong with it – but they should know not to touch it; that it’s not for kids,” Smith stated.
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- Sandmann 2.0: Media accuses innocent young sports fan of ‘black face’, plasters him all over internet - November 28, 2023
- ‘Real size’ Miss Universe contestant reacts to haters that body shame her - November 28, 2023
- Jon Lovitz says antisemitism he experienced in Hollywood came ‘from other Jews’ - November 28, 2023
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.