Judge rules against ‘Freedom Convoy’ honking: ‘Tooting a horn is not an expression of any great thought’

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE

Ontario Superior Court Justice Hugh McLean has granted a 10-day injunction against the “Freedom Convoy,” banning protest honking by the truckers after residents filed a class-action lawsuit claiming the noise was unbearable, in essence, ruling that “quiet” supersedes the right to freedom of speech.

The multimillion-dollar lawsuit alleges that blasting air horns and train horns “incessantly” is a key tactic that was “organized and planned” by protesters to cause “serious discomfort and inconvenience” to local residents.

“McLean said he heard enough evidence that the continual blaring of horns was having an effect on residents that their right to ‘quiet, if we can use that term,’ trumped the honking truckers’ right to protest,” Pique NewsMagazine reported. “But McLean said the injunction was temporary because a ‘myriad of people’ may still wish to come before the court to be heard.”

“Tooting a horn is not an expression of any great thought I’m aware of,” McLean remarked in Monday’s ruling which handed an interim victory to residents.

In response to the injunction, the truckers announced that they shut down their honking at 8 PM on Monday.

The “Freedom Convoy” was formed after a new rule was imposed on all Canadian truckers forcing them to get the jab in order to cross the US-Canadian border. Since then, thousands have protested against ongoing COVID restrictions.

Police stepped up their efforts to end the protest on Monday by seizing fuel and removing an oil tanker. They also arrested a number of demonstrators.

“We are turning up the heat in every way we possibly can,” Ottawa police chief Peter Sloly told reporters in an interview. This comes days after he claimed there may not be a “policing solution” to the occupation. He was hinting at military intervention which has been nixed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“We are asking for a major push of resources to come in the next 72 hours,” Sloly stated.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson declared in a letter to Trudeau and Ontario Premier Doug Ford that the city desperately needs 1,800 more officers, in addition to his current contingent of 2,100 police and civilian members, to “quell the insurrection” the local police cannot contain.

Watson asserted that the loud honking that has reverberated through downtown Ottawa for the last nine days is “tantamount to psychological warfare.” He declared a state of emergency on Sunday, claiming the protest posed a “serious danger and threat to the safety and security of residents.”

The convoy has had $9 million of its funding stripped by GoFundMe. The group has had their supplies cut off and they have been smeared in the media as well. But they assert they are not going anywhere until the mandates are brought to an end.

Sky News is reporting that Sloly praised shutting down the convoy’s funding: “There are other funding avenues that we continue to aggressively go after through intelligence information, coordination with financial institutions and all three levels of government.”

“We will be relentless in pursuing the funding that has enabled this demonstration to continue to this point,” he vowed.

Protests are popping up across the globe in response to the suppression of the “Freedom Convoy” and the movement is spreading in Canada.

Many Republicans are supporting the convoy and the protesters, including former President Donald Trump, who called Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau a “far-left lunatic” who has “destroyed Canada with insane COVID mandates.”

“Facebook and Big Tech are seeking to destroy the Freedom Convoy of Truckers. The Freedom Convoy is peacefully protesting the harsh policies of far left lunatic Justin Trudeau who has destroyed Canada with insane Covid mandates,” Trump said in his statement.

“Now, thankfully, the Freedom Convoy could be coming to DC with American Truckers who want to protest Biden’s ridiculous Covid policies. Facebook is canceling the accounts of Freedom Convoy USA, and GoFundMe is denying access to funds that belong to the Freedom Convoy. This is unacceptable and extremely dangerous in any country that values free expression,” the former president continued before touting his new social media platform.

“TruthSocial is announcing today that we are welcoming the Freedom Convoy with open arms to communicate freely on TruthSocial when we launch – coming very soon! TruthSocial will fight back against Big Tech so we can protect our rights to free expression,” Trump said. “Also, on top of everything, it is big news that Facebook daily users went down for the first time ever, people are tired of biased social media like Twitter and Facebook, and it’s showing in their numbers!”

DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW

Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!

Success! Thank you for donating. Please share BPR content to help combat the lies.

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

BPR INSIDER COMMENTS

Scroll down for non-member comments or join our insider conversations by becoming a member. We'd love to have you!

Latest Articles