Calif. parents want answers over school board member’s ‘disturbing’ sexual tweet about teen boy

Some parents in Chula Vista, Calif., want answers from local school board member Kate Bishop regarding vile messages posted some years ago on Twitter that went viral recently after a father who was concerned about the messages posted them to his social media account.

“I’m pretty sure I hit my sexual peak today. Somebody bring me an 18-year-old boy, STAT!” Bishop wrote in 2012, adding the hashtag “#hormones.”

A second post in 2o11 said, “Off to the park to see what hot 3-year-olds my kid can hit on,” that came with the hashtag “#ValentinesDay.”

The school district’s interim superintendent has put some distance between those tweets and the school district, while Bishop herself has acknowledged the posts were “past mistakes” and attempts at humor.

But that hasn’t completely mollified some parents including Katie Davidson-Brock, a native of the city and a mother of three, one of whom attends Chula Vista Elementary School.

In an interview with Fox News on Tuesday, she said she believes “that someone with this type of character is unfit to serve” on the school board.

Other parents of kids who attend the school district were equally alarmed, including Matt and Kimberly Dickson, parents of two who called on Bishop to step down over her “jaw-dropping” tweets while wondering why administrators downplayed or ignored the posts.

A father, Joe Thomas, shared the two old tweets along with several others Bishop posted on his Facebook page last week.

“Her comments are appalling, disturbing and unprofessional for any educator in the public school system,” he wrote, adding that he contacted the school superintendent’s office last week on Thursday. The following day, Bishop made her Twitter account private.

Thomas posted a screengrab of a response he received from the school district which indicated that no action had been taken against the offending board member.

“Ms. Bishop received the Let’s Talk Dialogue on Friday. I am not aware if there was any further action taken regarding this dialogue,” wrote Nancy Teahan, assistant to the superintendent and school board, the screengrab said.

“She is the perfect example of who not to put in charge of decisions that affect our children,” Thomas added in his post.

Other parents voiced similar sentiments including Reopen California Schools founder Jonathan Zachreson, who has three children.

“Those tweets, I feel, are disqualifying for anybody involved in K-12 education,” he said, highlighting the two aforementioned posts, Fox News reported.

“The 18-year-old boy one is definitely disturbing because 18-year-olds can still be enrolled in school. I have a 17-year-old boy. The thought of a school board member writing that is really disturbing to me,” he added.

Mark Dickson went on to say he found them “very frightening.”

“To choose an 18-year-old boy as opposed to somebody her own age, it appears to have a predatory context,” he continued, adding that the board member appeared to be “looking for somebody young and vulnerable. Having somebody who looks at young people in that manner is very scary.”

“If she’s a leader with this kind of – in my opinion – predatory thought process, is this going through the rest of the board and of the school district? Is there an acceptance of this kind of behavior?” Dickson wondered.

Bishop offered a mea culpa to Fox News.

“As a parent involved in education, I see this as a teachable moment that things put on the internet last forever. The intent of these tweets was meant to be funny, but they weren’t, and without context years later, they have actually hurt people that I care about,” she said.

“I own my past mistakes and I have been more mindful of things that I post publicly online since then,” Bishop added.

Jon Dougherty

Comments

Latest Articles