Powered by Topple

Twitter has questions about ‘staged’ brawl ahead of Mayweather/Paul bout: ‘Still gon’ watch though’

Powered by Topple

A pre-fight press conference on Friday featuring future Hall of Fame boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Logan Paul ahead of their June 6 bout in Miami resulted in a brawl that Twitter users are not at all convinced was genuine.

However, it was Jake Paul, Logan’s younger brother, who appeared to cause it after taunting Mayweather to his face and grabbing his ball cap.

In a video clip posted by boxing analyst and broadcaster Brendan Tobin, Mayweather is seen smiling and calmly talking to reporters, appearing to agree to fight both Pauls on the same night. Shortly thereafter, Jake Paul appears in the frame to challenge Mayweather over his statement before eventually grabbing his hat.

“You really wanna take them both on the same night?” Mayweather was asked.

“Absolutely. Easy,” the gifted but aging Mayweather, 44, who is undefeated over a 25-year career, said in response. “You got two fake fighters. I’m a real fighter.”

“Whassup? You wanna…you wanna run it two in one night?” Jake Paul asked as he approached Mayweather through a throng of people.

Mayweather squared off with Paul and said in response, “Absolutely!”

“You wanna run it two in one night?” Paul repeated.

“Absolutely!” said Mayweather.

The back-and-forth continued for several more moments, the two fighters standing face to face.

“Let’s make it happen, let’s make it happen,” Paul said.

“Absolutely! Get the paperwork for this bum,” Mayweather fired back.

“Got your hat!” said Paul as he turned and ran away.

For the next few minutes, Paul — who is just beginning his career and is 3-0 — and Mayweather, both separated by several people who were participating in the press conference, shouted at and challenged each other, with Mayweather threatening Paul not to “disrespect” him.

According to Bleacher Report, Paul later said that one of Mayweather’s bodyguards “got a clean shot on me in the eye” — suggesting he was punched during the melee.

After the alleged dust-up, Mayweather told The Athletic, “I don’t want to be disrespected. You can’t keep touching me and disrespecting me.”

Following the confrontation, Logan Paul informed his younger brother via Instagram that the promoter banned him from the exhibition match.

“They’re not letting you into the fight. You’re literally banned from the Hard Rock Stadium on June 6,” Logan Paul said.

Jake Paul responded, “Swipe up. I’ll buy the fight. I don’t care.”

But — was the confrontation real?

“I wish it was staged, that sh*t is not funny,” Logan Paul told TMZ.

Several social media users have their doubts.

“No ONE is gonna tell me this s**t isn’t staged. NOT A SOUL,” one user wrote.

“[I]f you think this isn’t staged to get them more bread for their fight, please reassess yourself. I’m still gon watch though,” Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley added.

WWE champ John Layfield wrote, “To anyone saying the Paul vs Mayweather showdown today looked ‘WWE’ staged. Give me a break. Our staged stuff is entertaining!” — in a tweet containing a gif of former boxing heavyweight champ Mike Tyson pushing former WWE superstar “Stone Cold” Steve Austin in the middle of a wrestling ring.

In the end, Mayweather himself even suggested that the confrontation may have been staged.

“Jake Paul wanted some attention, and he got it and so did I,” the boxing legend said.

“It’s all about entertainment. I want to give the people something fun to look forward to. For the last year and more, it’s been all about the virus. We need to all step past that and have fun again,” he added.

Jon Dougherty

Comments

Latest Articles