Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky has declared that racism is “a serious public health threat.”
The CDC is embarking on a campaign to mitigate racism in the midst of a pandemic that has purportedly killed 560,000 Americans — but then, this is consistent with the tactic Democrats often employ, using a crisis to institute transformational change.
Walensky highlighted new efforts the CDC is undertaking to accelerate its work to address racism as a fundamental driver of racial and ethnic health inequities in the United States, according to a press release which includes a new website.
In acknowledging the number of COVID-19 deaths, the director said “these painful experiences and the impact of COVID-19 are felt, most severely, in communities of color,” and that the “social impact of the pandemic has been most extreme” in these communities.
“Yet, the disparities seen over the past year were not a result of COVID-19,” Walensky said in the statement released Thursday. “Instead, the pandemic illuminated inequities that have existed for generations and revealed for all of America a known, but often unaddressed, epidemic impacting public health: racism.”
In effect, Walensky is using the tenets of the radical left’s toxic critical race theory to establish policy.
“What we know is this: racism is a serious public health threat that directly affects the well-being of millions of Americans,” she said. “As a result, it affects the health of our entire nation.”
The director proceeded to say that those who live in impoverished communities are not to blame for their circumstances. It’s not poor decisions and misplaced priorities, but the fault of society.
“Racism is not just the discrimination against one group based on the color of their skin or their race or ethnicity,” she said, “but the structural barriers that impact racial and ethnic groups differently to influence where a person lives, where they work, where their children play, and where they worship and gather in community. These social determinants of health have life-long negative effects on the mental and physical health of individuals in communities of color.”
The CDC detailed a number of initiatives it will be taking to fulfil its “critical role” of addressing the impact of racism on public health — steps that include using COVID-19 funding to make “new and expanded investments” in minority communities. See social justice engineering.
These steps are seen below, emboldened wording from the CDC:
- We will continue to study the impact of social determinants on health outcomes, expand the body of evidence on how racism affects health, and propose and implement solutions to address this.
- With COVID-19 funding, we are making new and expanded investments in racial and ethnic minority communities and other disproportionately affected communities around the country, establishing a durable infrastructure that will provide the foundation and resources to address disparities related to COVID-19 and other health conditions.
- We are expanding our internal agency efforts to foster greater diversity and create an inclusive and affirming environment for all.
- We are launching our new web portal “Racism and Health” as part of our ongoing commitment to serve as a catalyst for public and scientific discourse around racism and health, and to be accountable for our progress.
Here is a quick sampling of responses to the story from Twitter:
The CDC talking about racism & military talking about trans rights instead of doing their jobs shows how the left hijacks institutions.
American leftism is a totalitarian program that weaponizes identity to both fracture society & to pose as mediators to re-engineer society.
— Kyle Becker (@kylenabecker) April 9, 2021
Maybe the CDC should say something about obesity every now & then & lay off the racism lectures.
— Anna James Zeigler (@ajzeigler) April 9, 2021
Obesity is a public health threat. CDC doesn’t talk about how 80% of all Covid hospitalizations were obese or overweight people.
— Joe Miller (@Swampfox2020) April 9, 2021
Rochelle Walensky wants a woke CDC. What could possibly go wrong? https://t.co/JLYwDHvxpx
— Don Wolt (@tlowdon) April 8, 2021
I called this bs a long time ago. Once we are through with covid it will be climate change or racism or… whatever else. Anything can be called a public health threat now and we are going to use it as a force for totalitarian nonsense. https://t.co/02ILjLo6Hz
— LibertyOne 😀 🇺🇸 (@LibertyOne8) April 8, 2021
- ESPN writer looks at Olympics differently now, cites presence of US flag as reminder of Jan. 6 - July 27, 2021
- GOP lawmaker said he hugged ‘distraught’ cop after he killed unarmed Ashli Babbitt: ‘You did what you had to do’ - July 27, 2021
- Fmr. CA Sen. Barbara Boxer mugged in Oakland as libs give lip-service to getting tough on crime - July 27, 2021