The question that shows no signs of going away centers on whether the coronavirus originated in a Wuhan, China, lab and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo still believes that evidence suggests the answer is a resounding yes.
Appearing on Fox News’ “America’s Newsroom,” the former Trump official was asked by co-host Bill Hemmer if he still stands by a claim he made in a May 2020 interview that “there is a significant amount of evidence” that COVID-19 came from the lab in the Wuhan province, even though the World Health Organization is now saying that this theory is unlikely.
“Well Bill, I’ve seen that headline and I must say the reason we left the World Health Organization was because we came to believe that it was corrupt,” Pompeo said. “It had been politicized. It was bending a knee to General Secretary Xi Jinping in China.
“I hope that’s not the case here with what they have announced today,” he continued. “I’ll look forward to seeing their reports and analysis.”
WHO investigators said on Tuesday that after several weeks on a fact-finding mission in Wuhan, they would no longer pursue research into whether the virus leaked from a lab there, saying this theory was “extremely unlikely.”
“The laboratory incident hypothesis is extremely unlikely to explain the introduction of the virus into the human population,” said Peter Ben Embarek, who headed up the WHO mission.
Keep in mind, the WHO said in January 2020 there was “no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission” of the coronavirus.
The Trump administration was critical of the WHO, accusing the organization of being in cahoots with the Communist China government, and while former President Trump announced last year that the U.S. would leave the WHO, one of President Joe Biden’s earliest actions was to rejoin.
“I don’t believe it’s the case that they got access that they needed. I know they didn’t get access they needed in a timely fashion and I hope they got to see all the data, all the science, into the lab, talked to the doctors, interview them, interview them in private in places where they could actually tell the truth about what took place, not under the supervision of a Communist party person sitting in the back of the room making sure that they towed the Communist party line,” Pompeo said. “I look forward to seeing the results. I continue to know that there was significant evidence, Bill, that this may well have come from that laboratory.”
Fox News host Steve Hilton has been doing a weeks-long dive into the origins of the coronavirus and he cited NBC News on Sunday to charge that Beijing destroyed “vital evidence” long ago.
“The Chinese regime was so concerned about all evidence pointing to the Wuhan lab,” Hilton said, “that in February last year they replaced the head of the Wuhan Institute of Virology with the head of their bioweapons program. Vital evidence was destroyed as NBC News reported the other week.”
He also noted that Dr. Peter Daszak, one of the WHO investigators taking part in the coronavirus source-tracing mission in China, was involved in subcontracting the gain-of-function virus research linked to COVID-19 to Wuhan.
Research that Hilton said the U.S. government helped fund, under the direction of Dr. Anthony Fauci, after the Obama administration banned the research.
Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., responded to call the WHO “a puppet for Communist China’s misinformation & inaction on the threat of the COVID-19 — that’s inexcusable & they MUST be held accountable.”
Scott linked to a bill he sponsored along with Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., that would limit funding to the WHO and hold it “responsible for its role in helping Communist China cover up information regarding the threat of the coronavirus.”
The @WHO served as a puppet for Communist China’s misinformation & inaction on the threat of the COVID-19 – that’s inexcusable & they MUST be held accountable. My bill will withhold American taxpayer $ from the @WHO until significant reforms are made: https://t.co/yQiZVbG6NG
— Rick Scott (@SenRickScott) February 9, 2021
Turns out, Pompeo, Scott and Hilton are not the only ones skeptical of the WHO.
OANN’s Jack Posobiec tweeted: “It took the WHO a full year to come out and say exactly what the CCP told them to.”
It took the WHO a full year to come out and say exactly what the CCP told them to
— Jack Posobiec (@JackPosobiec) February 9, 2021
Here’s a quick sampling of responses to the story from Twitter:
WHO says they visited Wuhan market. Really…the virus is expected to hangaround to meet them and tell its story?
One year is enough time to cleanse all evidences from people who anyways dont want to see.
— Shivajiva#SundarMP# (@shivajiva) February 9, 2021
Biden: Let’s rejoin the WHO immediately.
Us: Hardest eye roll in human history
— Cryptophile (@CryptophileBTC) February 9, 2021
Even as they are saying they need more time to conduct research- lol- yet they come to conclusions. Also, inspecting a site or sites, is no scientific investigation- what did they really gain access to, and what did they do with it?
— Carrie K (@carries_k) February 9, 2021
They had to wait till after the US coup.
— Webjutsu (@Webjutsu) February 9, 2021
They have to wait until they know there won’t be any consequence for lying.
— Quinn Wallace (@quinnwallace16) February 9, 2021
Shameful that these are the institutions that are monitoring world health.
— ऋषभ राज राणा ® (@RishabhRajRana) February 9, 2021
RedSmoked as predicted….
— Sally🌞Sunshine (@SallySu50926124) February 9, 2021
- ’60 Minutes’ ends show with embarrassing final gasp to fix ‘deceptive’ DeSantis hit PR - April 12, 2021
- Belly of the beast: Five dog tags found in stomach of ‘monster gator’ - April 12, 2021
- McConnell walks back warning CEOs to ‘stay out of politics’ after being mocked from both sides - April 12, 2021