Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE
CHECK OUT WeThePeople.store for best SWAG!
Outgoing Senate Judiciary Committee chair Lindsey Graham released a new trove of declassified documents Friday pertaining to the committee’s investigation of the Department of Justice probe into President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign.
In a statement, Graham said the new documents show that the DOJ’s probe was “a massive system failure by senior leadership” — think Comey, McCabe, etc. — and “one of the most incompetent and corrupt investigations in the history of the FBI and DOJ.”
Available for review here, the documents include transcripts of the committee’s interviews with 11 DOJ officials ranging from unnamed special agents to Bruce Ohr.
Speaking on Fox News’ “Bill Hemmer Reports” Friday afternoon, correspondent Gillian Turner summarized the contents of the transcripts.
“In these documents, what we have are 11 interview transcripts with former and current government officials who themselves worked directly on the very start of that investigation as it was launched and then first getting underway,” she said.
“Some of those officials reference the now infamous FBI debriefings of Christopher Steele and his sub source, who we did learn in the fall was also under investigation by the FBI at that time. Some of the interviews also talk about Cambridge professor Stefan Halpert. He’s important because he was in contact with Trump campaign aides Carter Page and George Papadopoulos, all of which had been known for several months.”
In short, there’s nothing really new — just lots of “nitty-gritty details about the origins of the Russian probe,” according to Gillian, “all of which, in summation, continues to undercut the legitimacy of the Steele dossier — as we now know, one of the key intelligence documents that supported the launch of this probe in the first place.”
(Source: Fox News)
In Graham’s statement, he laid out the broader meaning of these findings.
“The FISA court was lied to. Exculpatory information was withheld on those being investigated. The investigators, with some notable exceptions, were incredibly biased and used the powers of law enforcement for political purposes. The subjects of the investigation had their lives turned upside down. It is my hope that counterintelligence investigations will be reined in and this never happens again in America,” he said.
“The leadership of the FBI under Comey and McCabe was either grossly incompetent or they knowingly allowed tremendous misdeeds. There was a blind eye turned toward any explanation other than the Trump campaign was colluding with foreign powers. At every turn the FBI and DOJ ran stop signs that were in abundance regarding exculpatory information,” Graham added.
All of this is true, which is why former Attorney General Bill Barr made it a point before stepping down last month to appoint U.S. Attorney John Durham special counsel so that he may continue formally investigating the matter once Joe Biden takes office.
“It is hard to believe that the senior officials at the FBI did not know that the Steele Dossier had been disavowed by the Russian subsource. It is equally hard to believe that the warnings from the CIA and other agencies about the reliability of Christopher Steele and the dossier were not known to senior leadership. It is my hope that the Durham report will hold those accountable for the travesty called Crossfire Hurricane,” Graham added.
“There was no ‘there’ there. The investigation was pushed when it should have been stopped and the only logical explanation is that the investigators wanted an outcome because of their bias,” he noted. “Former FBI Director Comey and his deputy Mr. McCabe, through their incompetence and bias, have done a great disservice to the FBI and DOJ, and the senior DOJ leadership who signed off on the work product called the Crossfire Hurricane investigation have created a stain on the department’s reputation that can only be erased by true reform.”
Graham concluded his statement by sharing his hope that America’s far-left establishment press “will look closely at what happened.”
Chances are they won’t, as they’ve been too busy predictably gas-lighting nonstop and spewing genuinely fake news:
— Conservative News (@BIZPACReview) January 14, 2021
Nevertheless, legal scholar Jonathan Turley believes these documents and findings may help “fill in a lot of questions that remain about the origins of this investigation.”
“What we do know is that much that was said early on about the investigation turned out to be untrue. For example, the Clinton campaign denied that it funded the Steele dossier until after the campaign, when reporters found that the Clinton campaign paid for the dossier and basically shifted those funds through their lawyer,” he said to Fox News host Bill Hemmer.
“Then we found out, of course, that the source for the Steele dossier appears to be a Russian agent, and the information was quickly discredited in the FBI,” Turley added. “But that information was not shared with the secret court, so many of us are going to look at these documents to see what these key players said about this period where the FISA court was being given a completely erroneous presentation of the facts.”
(Source: Fox News)
What remains unclear is if anybody will ever be held accountable, save for a few extremely low-level players like disgraced former FBI attorney Kevin Clinesmith.
Considering how long it’s taken — years upon years — just for the documents released Friday to finally be brought out into the light, some aren’t optimistic.
Including the folks at Rasmussen Reports:
Senate Judiciary Crossfire Hurricane Release – 1/15/21
Lindsey Graham stomps feet.
Extensive violations of law evidenced in exhibits.
No one will be held accountable.
Trust in government will further decline.
— Rasmussen Reports (@Rasmussen_Poll) January 15, 2021
- ‘Woke’ US men’s basketball team defeated by France in first Olympics loss since 2004 - July 25, 2021
- Tired of Covid lockdowns and restrictions, tens of thousands protest around the globe - July 25, 2021
- Social media responds in epic fashion when asked for ‘favorite Covid insanity moments’ - July 25, 2021