Powered by Topple

Not so fast: Trump responds after PGA strips his golf course of 2022 Championship

Powered by Topple


The real-time cancellation of President Donald Trump is in full swing, as the PGA announced on Sunday that it will strip Trump’s Bedminster Club from the 2022 PGA Championship.

The action coming after last week’s protest at the U.S. Capitol that got out of hand — a protest being pinned on the president by the opposition, who accuse Trump of inciting violence.

The PGA of America voted on Sunday to cut ties to Trump by taking next year’s PGA Championship event away from his private golf club in New Jersey, the Associated Press reported — this being the second time in just over five years the organization has removed one of its events from a Trump course.

PGA President Jim Richardson says the board voted to exercise its right to “terminate the agreement” with Trump National Golf Club Bedminster.

“We find ourselves in a political situation not of our making,” Seth Waugh, the CEO of the PGA of America said in an interview, according to NJ.com. “We’re fiduciaries for our members, for the game, for our mission, and for our brand. And how do we best protect that? Our feeling was given the tragic events of Wednesday, that we could no longer hold it at Bedminster. The damage could have been irreparable. The only real course of action was to leave.”

The Trump Organization responded with this statement, suggesting possible legal action in saying this was “a breach of a binding contract.”

“We have had a beautiful partnership with the PGA of America and are incredibly disappointed with their decision,” a spokesperson for The Trump Organization said, according to ABC News. “This is a breach of a binding contract and they have no right to terminate the agreement. As an organization, we have invested many, many millions of dollars in the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump National Golf Club, Bedminster. We will continue to promote the game of golf on every level and remain focused on operating the finest golf courses anywhere in the world.”

The 2015 PGA Grand Slam of Golf, set to be held at Trump National Los Angeles Golf Club, was canceled after the liberal media misconstrued Trump’s remarks about some illegal immigrants being rapists — “rape trees” in the U.S.-Mexican borderlands are known to feature the bras and underwear of migrant women who were raped on their trek to America.

“They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists,” Trump said, as he announced his candidacy. “And some, I assume, are good people.”

Much like Big Tech taking drastic action against Trump by locking him out after it became clear that he had exhausted all legal options to overturn an election marred by allegations of voter fraud, effectively rendering him powerless to respond, Golfweek’s Eamon Lynch said the PGA’s reluctance to take action had begun to “melt away.”

Lynch wrote, “Moving its major from Trump National has been debated internally at the PGA for more than two years, but executives have been reluctant to antagonize a famously-vindictive man who controls the Internal Revenue Service. Such concerns melt away in 10 days, if not sooner.”

To get a feel for how deranged things are becoming, golf greats Annika Sorenstam and Gary Player are taking criticism for accepting the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Trump last week — there are even calls to cancel golf legend Jack Nicholas for his support of the president.

“Reputations too have been left bruised in the eyes of many golf fans,” Lynch said in his article. “Like those of Jack Nicklaus and Nancy Lopez, both of whom have long been celebrated for their character and rectitude.”

“Lopez at least tweeted that she disagreed with Trump and was rooting for the country to unite under President Biden. Jack has remained silent as a sphinx,” he wrote.

Tom Tillison

Comments

Latest Articles