President Trump calls L.A. Sheriff’s deputies ambushed in Compton

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE


President Donald Trump personally called the two Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies who were ambushed near a metro rail station in Compton earlier this month to wish them both a “speedy recovery.”

“This week #potus45 @realdonaldtrump called both of our deputies to check on their spirits, wish them a speedy recovery and remind them that the #american people are behind them and that the coward that harmed them will be brought to #justice!!” the LASD Transit Services Bureau noted in a Facebook post on Saturday.

The two deputies, a 31-year-old mother of a six-year-old and a 24-year-old male, were both wounded in an ambush-style attack Sept. 12 as they sat in their patrol SUV. The lone suspect was seen running to a nearby black four-door sedan to get away following the shooting.

“A week ago today, a callous and heartless criminal attempted to murder two of the heroes that work hard everyday to keep you safe when ride @metrolosangeles,” the LASD Facebook post noted further.

“The outpouring of love and support from our Department, @lacosheriff, the community, and indeed from around the world, has been overwhelming, but also very much appreciated!”

During the phone call, the female deputy — who was shot through the jaw — wrote out her responses to President Trump, which were then relayed to him by Deputy Sgt. Brant Frederickson.

“Both of the deputies and their families were very appreciative of the call!” LASD wrote on Facebook.

L.A. County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said the male deputy has already been released from the hospital, but that he has a “long road to recovery.”

“We at @LASDHQ appreciate the outpouring of prayers and support you have shown for our ambushed deputies,” he wrote on Twitter. “Great news, one of those deputies was released from the hospital today. He has a long road ahead for recovery. But he’s not alone. We, as a community, are in this together.”

Both deputies had only been on the job for about 14 months. Following the shootings, the female deputy managed to radio for help and apply first aid to her partner.

“I’m told female deputy was shot through jaw, still radioed for help [and] applied [a] tourniquet to male deputy’s wounds,” FOX LA reporter Bill Melugin noted on Twitter.

The reward for the shooter has grown to at least $675,000, Fox News reported. Villanueva also said that an additional $800,000 had been donated to help the two deputies recover.

On Friday, the sheriff told reporters that the investigation into the shooting was “progressing well,” noting that detectives have a witness who saw the alleged gunman immediately after they opened fire on the deputies.

The witness, a male, was “standing in the walkway when the shooter ran by,” Villanueva said, adding: “That person is a witness.” He also said detectives were following additional “numerous and substantial leads.”

The shooter is believed to be a black male aged 28-30, according to previous reports.

The president has made “law and order” a major issue during his reelection campaign following a summer of violent riots and protests. Much of the brutality has been directed at law enforcement via the ‘defund the police’ movement which was embraced by Black Lives Matter.

Jon Dougherty

Staff Writer
[email protected]

Jon is a staff writer for BizPac Review with 30 years' worth of reporting experience, as well as an author and U.S. Army veteran. He has a BA in political science from Ashford University and an MA in national security studies/intelligence analysis from American Military University.
Jon Dougherty

Comments

Latest Articles