Miami Herald apologizes after publishing ‘inflammatory racist and anti-Semitic’ insert

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE


CHECK OUT WeThePeople.store for best SWAG!

A Spanish-language edition of the Miami Herald is feeling the heat for publishing an “inflammatory, racist and anti-Semitic” insert in its paper.

Fittingly, the newspaper was clueless that it did… or so they say.

Subscribers to el Nuevo Herald, the sister publication of the Herald, received a paid insert in their papers on Friday called “LIBRE,” The Washington Post reported. The insert included a column headlined, “American Jews and Israeli Jews,” which said American Jews support “thieves and arsonists” and equated Black Lives Matter protesters with Nazis.

 

“What kind of people are these Jews? They’re always talking about the Holocaust, but have they already forgotten Kristallnacht, when Nazi thugs rampaged through Jewish shops all over Germany?” author Roberto Luque Escalona wrote.

“So do the BLM and antifa, only the Nazis didn’t steal; they only destroyed.”

 

The Miami Herald’s publisher and executive editor, Aminda Marqués González, along with Nuevo Herald managing editor Nancy San Martín, issued a hasty apology.

“We are deeply sorry that inflammatory, racist and anti-Semitic commentary reached our el Nuevo Herald subscribers through LIBRE, a Spanish-language publication that paid our company to have the product printed and inserted into our print edition as a weekly supplement,” the pair said in a statement.

The release also said LIBRE was notified that the paper was ending their relationship and “will never publish, print or distribute its content again.”

Citing “a series of internal failures,” the editors acknowledged that the insert had not been reviewed and they became aware when a reader flagged the “incredibly offensive column.”

“The fact that no one in leadership, beginning with us, had previously read this advertising insert until this issue was surfaced by a reader is distressing,” the release said.

To their credit, González and San Martín took full responsibility for the incident.

“Our readers turn to us for fact-based, trusted local reporting and we can offer no excuse for the fact that such hateful content reached our readers,” they added.

The Herald has reported on Libre’s owner, Demetrio Perez, Jr., a number of times, according to the Post. A former Miami Dade School Board member, one of the articles said Perez had pocketed $1 million in rent payments from public schools, which was intended to go toward funding programs for at-risk children, the paper said.

Which prompted the following question from Miami-based documentary filmmaker Billy Corben:

Needless to say, the Herald is getting shredded on social media — here’s a sampling of responses from Twitter:

Tom Tillison

Senior Staff Writer
[email protected]

The longest-tenured writer at BizPac Review, Tom grew up in Maryland before moving to Central Florida as a young teen. It is in the Sunshine State that he honed both his passion for politics and his writing skills.
Tom Tillison

Comments

Latest Articles